Raymarine C90W interface to my OS/Mac for Nav.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2011
Hunter 376 Kemah
Does anyone have any recommendations for Nav. software for the OS system that they are currently using? I am in the process of a systems upgrade on my 96 Hunter 376.
Installing:
Raymarine C90W
4 Kw Radar
ST70 interface to my Auto pilot
Raymarine ST60 Tri-data

Looking advice on how to interface with Sea-talk so that I can track all repeaters to my Mac at the nav. Stations.

This is my first big boat so go easy on me...lol I am reading and learning along the way.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Raymarine

Call Raymarine I am sure they can help with all the info and have seen and talked to boaters who have this system and seem to be $$$$$ and needed a computer teck to set up.
I am not sure but maybe you can have another C90W at the nav station I know my C80 will not work with a second unit down below.
Nick

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 49 123
Ray Tech Nav would be the logical solution but it only works with windows. Try http://opencpn.org/ it will give you about 90% of what you need in the nav station. The challenge of opencpn is that it takes a while to get everthing working and you need a NMEA 183 data feed or a separate GPS and a lot of patience.

Sep 25, 2008
Morgan 415 Out Island Rogersville, AL
opencpn really sucks at steering my boat. I am convinced that the people who design and build the autopilot should design the control loop in the steering algorithm. However, if you don't need autopilot self-steering, it is a moot point.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 49 123
I gave up the idea of having radar overlay and AP from the nav station. It takes too much computer power even for Ray Tech Nav to manage the data. I am not sure I want to AP from below. I just want instrument data and charting from opencpn to be able to plan ahead. Also to have a back up system just in case.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Hey StellaBlue
As SeaTalk is a propriatory comms protocal you are going to have to limit yourself to NMEA data for all add on computer interfaces. that means you don't typically have the "words" for your radar or instriments in NMEA to transmit the data. Also NMEA is a single talker-many listener protocal. So if the GPS is talking you can't put a radar talker on the same circuit. You have to have a compleatly different circuit for each talker. Basicly you run out of serial ports on the computer trying to connect all the parts.
A partial solution is to make the AP the NMEA talker as it takes all (less the radar data)the SeaTalk data and converts it to NMEA. Then all you have to do is have two serial ports on the computer to listen to the AP and the radar. If you want to be able to control the AP you can but again you have to have a dedicated talker (the computer in this case) to send the data to the AP. Ray AP have two NMEA channels, a talker and a listener so you should be OK on the AP end.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
$$$$$$$

Too much $$$$$ to do what you want to do and will you really use all this info at navstation ????????.
I do a lot of cruising even sailed from NY to SW Florida all off shore and never had a need for info at navstation instead I $$$$$ for a backup 2 chartplotter 76cx and blue chart g2 just in case my C-80 stops working and a card reader for planning and routing,I even got a extra laptop for use on the boat a Droid with internet all for cruising and the $$$$ all to me better spent and some day I will put a software setup to track us on my laptop while cruising but have not done so as yet,I have Maptech CD loaded with charts that should be able to show info whilee sailing too.
WM had a sale blue chart g2 and 76cx for 249.99 and so now have 2 76cx one for my sailboat with g2 and one for kayaking here in Florida much needed kayaking exploring.
Nick

Jun 28, 2011
Hunter 376 Kemah
Thanks I have seen the MacEnc, and downloaded a trial version and will see what I can come up with. Thanks all for the input as this is a new start for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.