Raychart waypoints list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Visser

Perhaps I'm confused on this topic, please help. I have a Raychart 425. This is my first GPS/Chartplotter. I was surprised and disappointed to find that the list of waypoints available for GO TO and course plotting is initially empty; that none of the ATONs or ports are in the list. One is therefore required to put a waypoint on top of a buoy (every buoy) in order to plot a course with the buoy on it, or to GO TO it. Is this normal for chartplotters, or am I missing something? Thanks, jv

D

Daniel Jonas

Waypoints

John, Both my Raytheon Chartplotters require the input of each waypoint. I suppose that saves having a bunch of waypoints taking up memory that you will never need. But my question is...are you driving a high speed power boat, or sailing. If you are sailing you should have lots of time to work out that next waypoint. Also, I have pre-planned a few trips and soon realized that working out waypoints in advance could be a little frustrating if the wind did not work out just right. I find it a little easier to set the course, cursor out in front to a waypoint, set the autopilot, and hope the wind doesn't change enough to start everything beeping. Dan Jonas (S/V Feije)

J

Joe C.

My Raynav 300...

...works the same way. I had previously used a Magellon unit that had the bouys all in there. I liked that, especially sailing at night. When the wind dictates a little different course than you might motor, I just plot as often as seems prudent and check my chart to make sure that I'm still in good water. I do enter the way points and plot an ideal chart before I leave so that I have something to fall back on for motoring etc. if weather or equipment goes south. Hope this helps, Joe C. in NC '01 H260 Windward Passage

M

Michael McCann

Way Points

John; All GPS units come with the waypoint list empty. As you will note each unit can only store a certain amount of waypoints. Waypoints are a personal thing. I might not want to go to the same spot as you, and would not want to have to delete a full list to make room for the one's I want to save. Hope this clears things up. Mike

J

Joe C.

Some GPS units come with fixed navaids...

...and light houses for a given region already loaded. The Magellan 320 that I use for backup is one such example. It can make the screen busy, but is really handy at night or in the fog. Although the screen is monochrome, the red and green bouys have a different shape icon. You can look right from the screen to spot the particular light. You just have to remember that it's not a computer game and keep your wits and common sense. Joe C. in NC

H

hp

Navigation aids, and Waypoints

Joe; You still have to create, and enter a waypoint. Yes it is nice to have those little icons on your track page, and if you place the cursor on one it will give you range, and bearing. But, John is talking about Waypoints. He has the same bouy's on his charts, but they aren't waypoints! Mike

M

Michael McCann

Nav aids, and Waypoints

I'm sorry! I'm not 'hp'. Different computer, and I didn't make sure my name was in the little boxes. I feel that it is rude to not identify myself. Mike

J

Joe C.

Magellan 320 factory waypoints

Hi Joe D., The 320 was my first GPS so I was learning everything on it from scratch. They are setup with regional waypoints for where they are sold so mine wouldn't have the same ones that yours does. The waypoint list in mine only lists some light houses and a few major fixed nav aids. This was confusing to me at first, but when you have the unit up and running in the area with the aids all (fixed)aids just show up on the screen. It's easy to tell the reds from the greens and when you plot your position on a paper chart you can compare the nav aids on the chart to what you see on the GPS screen. It will then make sence. To plan a trip I first plot my course on the paper chart establishing waypoints as needed. I then enter the waypoints in to the GPS and then select them in to a route. When in the area of the route and with it activated as a "goto" the route will show up on the screen and any nav aids will be there too. Email me through the list if you need help putting in the waypoints. A great book for practical help in navigation without being overwhelmed with technical stuff is "Navigation for the rest of us" by Capt. Bill Brogden. Good navigation and planing really add to the fun and make a trip much safer. Hope this helps, Joe C. in NC '01 H260

J

Joe C.

to Mike M.

Hi Mike, Thanks for your comments. Certainly no offence taken. I get the point you are expressing about having to enter the actual waypoints that you want to go to. It's just a matter of samantics in that on the Magellan 320 it refers to the fixed nav aids and light houses (etc) as "factory waypoints" Of course some of them such as head channel markers could be your actual "goto". Fairwinds, Joe C. in NC

M

Michael McCann

Joe C. and Joe D.

Joe; The 320 has a data base of all cities, and navigation aids in North America. You will only be able to see the one's in your current location. Joe C. if you were to go to Joe D.'s boat your 320 would show the same thing that Joe D.'s does. If you understand the names of the bouy's and lights you are able to see on your GPS, they would be similar to the names of the bouy's and lights on Joe's (D). On mine I see something like FL R 2.5S, This means FLashing Red 2.5 Seconds. The info on the chart would be the same for this bouy. Joe D. I hope this helps you. I have a Garmin 48 with the same data base, Cities, and Navigation aids. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.