Raw Water Through Hull fitting 2001 Catalina 310

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 77 Atlantic Highlands NJ NJ
Greetings
Right now the barnacle growth on boats in my area is becoming a real annoyance and crucial intakes and out flows are becoming constricted. It is not always convenient to dive on the through hulls without scuba. I was able to clear the galley sink from inside the boat, a relatively easy task. All went well and was completed in about 15 minutes.

I noticed the engine was running about 10 degrees hotter then it should. (normally about 170%) Then it fluctuated up to nearly 200, but only for a few minutes.
This lead me to check the through hull for the raw water intake.
See the picture.
My question is, has anyone taken off the four screws to clean the valve from the inside of the boat? If you have, was a new gasket required or did it seal properly?
I do not want to open this until I have some really good info.
Thanks in advance.
Jack

Attachments

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Well, the diver who regularly checks my zincs also checks the thru hulls. I live in a cold water area.
I would like to see a picture of your raw water filter.

paulj
:hook2:

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 77 Atlantic Highlands NJ NJ
I found an answer to my question from the folks at Catalina. They had the same through Hull fitting on the shelf and he took it apart to see what would happen. If you have the fitting with the four screws on top, DO Not attempt to open the fitting in the water. You will sink your boat.
Regards
Jack

Apr 17, 2013
Catalina 310 57 Pompano Beach, FL
I have had similar problems and have been able to clean out the thru hull without going in the water. First I would take off the hose from the thru hull to the strainer, if the water is poring out it doesn't seem to be a clog in the thru hull if it just dribbles out then it is clogged. I have taken the hose from the dock and placed it in the hose which goes to the strainer hold a rag around the hose and turn it on, it might make a mess but could clear your clog. If you have a barnacle in the thru hull I don't know if this would work.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
My solution is a hookah and 3mm wet suit. I dive on the boat to clean the prop, hull, and through hulls the first weekend of every month, excepting winter. It takes a little over an hour in the water. If the water temp isn't above 70 degrees, I don't go in - I don't have a hood. Yeah, I'm might be a wimp, but you try submerging your bare head for an hour in sub 70 degree water and see how you feel! I tried both 12 VDC and 110 AC versions of the compressor. I prefer the 100 VAC. The system paid for itself in the first year of use. I've run it for four years with no issues. The Cardiologist wouldn't let me do it in July - said it would hose up his fine surgery. I was amazed at what grew on the prop, despite sailing the boat, in the two month period June-July. I use a sharp stainless steel folding knife on the prop, polish it with a 3M Scotch Brite pad (green), and wipe the ablative paint on the hull with a washcloth to remove the slime. Occasionally I do a friend's boat with hard paint. Those get wiped with a Scotch Brite pad

When you get the bottom painted, be sure the yard puts bottom paint in the through hulls up to the valve. Two years ago I dove on a C-310 that came up from Naples in hurricane season. The through hulls were not painted and all were packed with barnacles. I don't know how any cooling water got to the engine. I use a square shaft #2 screw driver (old Craftsman) with the blade cut off to clear anything out of the through hulls.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I took one apart on the hard to lube the valve, and was able to put it back together without damaging the gasket. It looks pretty delicate, so I did the rest as best as I could from above and below without taking them apart because I didn’t have spare gaskets. You would need all your ducks in a row to try to clean through hull from inside while in the water but it could possibly be done. Water will be everywhere.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I learned this only this year, and tried it, and it's brilliant. If you know the raw water intake is clogged, by takign the hose off he strainer, opening the through-hull and noting poor flow, do this.

Jam the hose into your air horn, open the seacock, and blow! Will clear the clog almost immediately.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
Our Marelon series 93 thru hulls have an integrated plug in the valve handle that you can pull out, that fits directly into the fitting from outside the hull. So theoretically one could insert that plug, then take apart the valve assembly from inside the boat. I've only tried all this on the hard, so cannot verify the reality. Of course I have wood plugs taped to each of the seacock valves in case of an emergency, but it is good to know about the external plug fitting too.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Our engine runs at 160 degrees when it goes higher-up to 165 We have JUNK in the strainer and then clean it..
We are in sweet water no barnacles...