Raw Water System Hoses

Aug 2, 2011
Newport 30 MKIII Madeira Beach, FL
Greetings - Looking for advice on hoses for my raw water system. It appears I have two kinds of hose now, Shields J1527 A2 from the strainer to the raw water pump and Shields 2006 R2 from raw water pump to HX, HX to anti-syphon & anti-syphon to mixing elbow.

Should there be different hoses between any of these runs or can the same hose be used for all? What do I need to know about replacement hoses? Do any of them need to be wire-reinforced? Can cheaper water hose from an Auto Parts store be used? (Please don't persecute me for that question, retiring in a couple of months so "tightening the belt").

Thanks in advance,
Windborne

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I use wire reinforced hose for all connections at the engine: rw intake, pump to HX, HX to injection point in the exhaust to the muffler and the freeshwater coolant hoses to and from the manifold. I get it at a marine store. You might want to research any differences between the materials between auto store hoses and "marine" wr hose.

Others may know already, it just never occurred to me.

Good idea to replace them, though. Have fun, clamp well. Then a week later, check every single one of those clamp screws. :)

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Similiar question..... always used the same hoses and replace them regularly since not too long of run and are relatively inexpensive. But I get this one center hose seemingly failing with it's chalky appearance.

ForumRunner_20141105_221654.jpg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Shields J1527 A2 from the strainer to the raw water pump and Shields 2006 R2 from raw water pump to HX, HX to anti-syphon & anti-syphon to mixing elbow.
The only section of hose to be concerned about is from the strainer to the pump. This should ideally be wire reinforced to avoid collapsing as it's subject to a low vacuum when the strainer is clean and a higher vacuum if the strainer starts to plug. After the pump, any good automotive hose will do (if you're trying to save money). It's only cold sea water.

Looks like the PO used SAE J1527 fuel hose at the pump suction.

You may also want to think about a strainer before the pump. Small twigs play havoc with the pump impellor.

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
simple rule of thumb here is to always use wire reinforced hose on the suction side of the pump from start to finish then what ever you want on the push side of the pump

Aug 2, 2011
Gentlemen, thank you for the information. I learned something new from this forum once again.

Aug 16, 2006
Ericson 32 Oregon coast
There is a difference with fuel hose. By law and for

your safety fuel hoses must be USCG approved. That is because Coast Guard certified fuel hose is rated to withstand higher temperature in case of fire than automotive hose. For water lines that is not mandated or required.
You might note that all hoses deteriorate from the inside out. That is why it is a good practice to replace any hose periodically as a rubber hose can look good on the out side but can be crumbling on the inside. This accounts for why feeling a hose for "sponginess" is an inspection technique.

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
That is why it is a good practice to replace any hose periodically as a rubber hose can look good on the out side but can be crumbling on the inside. This accounts for why feeling a hose for "sponginess" is an inspection technique.
How periodic is periodically?

Aug 2, 2011
Got down to the boat this week and need to apologize for an error in my original post that began this thread.

The hose from the strainer to the pump is the Shields marine wet exhaust SAE J2006R2 wire reinforced. The other hoses are Shields J1527 A2 non-wire which makes sense based on the replies in the thread.

The only place I can find 5/8" wire reinforced is West Marine at $9.19/ft. Three auto parts stores I went to do not carry 5/8" wire reinforced. The other thing I found is that the non-wire Shields hose at West Marine is noticeably thicker than any auto parts equivalent and sells for $3.99/ft compared to $1.50/ft at auto parts stores.

Replacing all my hoses from strainer to pump to HX to anti-syphon to mixing elbow will run close to $90. Not saying it's not worth the price and the peace-of-mind to have good hoses but it's a lot more than I expected.

Windborne

Aug 16, 2006
Ericson 32 Oregon coast
You could use automotive hose for all but the

wire reinforced hose. Over the years I've found that Gates brand is the best that I've come across. Also note that all but the wire reinforced hose is not under pressure so are much less critical. You might want to keep the old reinforced hose onboard for a spare if it was functioning well and only replaced as a part of periodic maintenance. Keep a piece of new hose equal to or exceeding the longest of the unreinforced hoses to make an emergency replacement.

Marine hose clamps are different than automotive clamps. Even though automotive clamps are usually stainless steel, they are of a lesser grade stainless than ones that are stamped "marine" which are 300 series stainless. Carry at least one spare new clamp onboard.