raw water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2004
Catalina 320 perry lake
I have a 1996 OC281 with a 18 hp Perkins diesel. There is a slight drip from the raw water pump when the engine is running and although it is not a big deal, I thought it might be something to fix over winter. The pump is held onto the engine block by four bolts. Two are easily acceeible but the other two are put in with the heads between the back of the pump and the engine block. Totally out of sight and I can't figure how to get them out. There doesn't seem to be enough room for either a typical socket wrench or a box end wrench. Anyone else with a Perkins that has figured this out? I tried this on the Beneteau forum but so far no luck. I have a friend with a Catalina 320 that has the same engine so I thought I'd expand my audience because obviously Beneteau was not the only manufacturer to use this engine.

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

box wrench

Bill, I am trying to picture what you are telling me in my mind ( which lately isn't working) but what about one of those small open end wrench heads that connects to a socket wrench. Maybe if you put it on a swivel head adaptor you might be able to get in there Charlie

W

william

same boat, same engine...

...seems like you have the start of seals failing in the raw water pump...I had someone do it for me and I supplied the parts (about $85.00) from the local Perkins dealer...you are smart to fix it now and not wait like I did and end up with lots of water in the engine pan each I motor the boat...

Status
Not open for further replies.