Raw Water 2QM15

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Larry Connolly

Over the winter lay up I installed a Groco Raw Water Strainer on the intake for the 2QM15. Prior to this, the line only had a screen on the thru hull, which was leaking. Having replaced the thru hull with a 3/4" bronze with no screen, I thought the Groco strainer would be an improvement. Unfortunately, the pump has been working intermittently this season. It will go from pumping plenty of water for some time, but fail to pump any at all, primarily after several hours of sailing, but occasionally at a slip or mooring too. My mechanic had rebuilt the pump over the winter (which worked fine last season), and after several calls, gone over it again, checking the plate for wear. He had me lower the raw water strainer on the bulkhead, it’s now at the height of the oil filter and I’ve double checked all clamps, but I’m still getting the same problem. The mechanics last advice was to avoid starting the engine under sail, which seems a bit ridiculous. At this point I have ordered a new pump, but am interested if other people have raw water strainer for there 2QM15 and its setup. Any feedback would be appreciated. Cheers larry

Attachments

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Larry

Larry, I have the same set engine in a 28'S2. Raw water strainer mounted on a bulkhead, but I don't think quite that high. Mine is maybe two or three inches below the oil filter. Don't know if this would make much difference or not, but have never had any problems. As for starting the engine under sail, it is possible that if the boat is heeled over pretty far, the intake is out of the water. Wish I could be of more help.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
My raw water filter is 18 inches above the water

line. I have no idea why anyone would start the engine before you put the bow into the wind. I sail or I motor and sometimes when the wind is very light I motor-sail but heeling enough to ventilate the engine water intake is completely absurd.

S

Skipper Fred

Ideas

Larry, Sounds like an air leak or the lift height is to high. Try taking the filter out of the loop by connecting the filter inlet and outlet together with a coupling but at the same height as the filter. If this works then it is not the height. Probably and air leak. If w/o filter the problem still exists then it is the height, put the filter back in the loop but take off the bulkhead and lay in lower position to test. If this works then raise filter half way or until it fails. Why does the filter need to be that high? Good Luck and have a great day

L

Larry Connolly

filter options

Thanks to everyone who responded, It seems the raw water strainer was not the issue, just a red herring. After lowering it to the height of the oil filter, we still had intermittent performance from the water pump. Again, we had tried to rebuild the pump twice and smoothed the impeller housing and backing plate, but with no success. Removing the water outlet from the pump when it was not working showed no flow with engine running, then after messing about a bit, you could try the engine again and get full flow coming out the pump. Also with the engine off and the outlet hose removed from the pump a small steady trickle of water would flow out, indicating wear in the housing. Water flowed freely from the sea cock to the water inlet on the pump from any height it was placed, and after going over every hose clamp, I put the order in for a new pump. If after 27 years it’s tired and worn out, then it’s time it was replaced. And as for starting the engine under sail, I wasn’t exactly cresting down waves. I was coming back from afternoon races in calm conditions and started the engine to make the mooring before dark. I still believe the engine was designed and built to run in almost anything should the need arise. Cheers Larry

Jul 10, 2006
- - Jax,Fla
Intermittent Engine Over Heating

Larry; You might have your mechanic check your exhaust elbow for carbon build up and blockage.This is a common problem with Yanmars after many years of running.The engine will run cool at lower RPM's___ then over heat if RPM's are increased.I ran into this problem years ago while delivering a IOR race boat from Isla Mujerus, Mexico back to Tampa Bay. Starting your engine has nothing to do with the fact you are under sail or not.You should be able to start your engine at any angle of heel... the water pick up is almost in line with the centerline of the boat.Sea strainer height should be at or below the water line. I think a good place to start is with a new water pump as you have already done.The shaft onto which the impeller mounts becomes worn after many many years and can begin to slip causing intermittent water flow.Make sure impeller is installed with the blades in the proper direction.I also put a dab of Crisco inside the water housing to allow the impeller to spin with out being dry at the first start up.Just an old habit I started some 25 years ago when impeller materials were not as good as they are today. Hope all your over heat problems are cured with a new pump.Overheating can be very frustrating,and have at times caused my adult beverage bill to climb proportionately!! Cheers- CaptHawk ROGUEWAVE

L

larry

Mixing Elbow

Hi Hawk, It has been a frustrating issue to deal with. Installing the strainer over the winter seemed like such a good idea. Threw us off the track in diagnosing the problem, most likely the pump was just worn, and I was lucky to get last season out of it. We are waiting for a new pump from Japan, if can believe it. Fortunately, my mooring allows for quick cast off and sailing is still in the picture. Thanks for the tip on the mixing elbow, I replaced it over the winter. What’s your opinion on flushing out the cooling system of scale? Is there anything that’s safe enough to use? I don’t think scale is an issue with the pump at all, just thinking ahead to next year’s winterization. Cheers larry

Jul 10, 2006
- - Jax,Fla
Strainer Set up

Larry; Looks like a fine set up.The water pumps are available from local Yanmar dealers, mine, here in Jax, Lambs Yacht Center keeps 1-2 in stock.The master distributor, I think ,is Torrensen Marine in the the Midwest.The Florida master dealer is Mastry Engine Center in St. Pete.Do a google search for Yanmar...you will see there are many stocking dealers in the eastern US.I find it very hard to beleive they have to order one from outside the US?? I flush my system every other year with a mild solution of muradic acid and then run the engine for 30 minutes to make sure it is free of any acid solution. I mix the solution[1-part acid to 20 parts water] in a 2 1/2 gallon bucket, then close the water intake sea cock and disconnect the hose.I put the hose into the bucket and start the engine, letting it suck up the solution[about 20 seconds].Then as it comes to the bottom, I shut the engine down and just let the mild acid water sit in the engine for 5 minutes, then reconnect to the seacock ,open valve and restart the engine, running it for 30 minutes. You can also flush out AC lines the same way.It will remove the scale without damage to the rubber parts/seals/gaskets etc. Cheers- CaptHawk

Status
Not open for further replies.