Raw/Sea Water Pump Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
Can anyone tell me if a rebuild for a 1984 Westerbeke 10 Two is a simple task "so easy a cave man can do it". My surveyor said it looked like the front seal of the raw water pump was leaking on to the altenator. I have the impeller replace kit (impeller, lube, gasket, and a little rubber o-ring). Is there more to a rebuild? Anyone know of any videos showing how to do this? I have searched but cant find any.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Here ya go.... from the expert himself!

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/raw_water_pump

It's been a while since I looked at this photo story, but a complete rebuild also includes the bearings and seals along with an inspection of the cover plate and pump chamber. The parts you have are just for an impeller change. Once you get the pump apart you may realize that you need more parts. If the pump has more than 500 hours on it you probably want to remove it from the engine and do a bench job on it. That way you can see exactly what you have and it is much easier to inspect and evaluate the entire pump.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Another thought- if the "front seal" means the cover gasket, then after assurring that the cover is flat without anything more than light grooves, then the new gasket should work fine to correct the leak.

However if the surveyor means the shaft seal, then you need to pull the shaft, seals, and bearings. You will need new bearing and seals, and if the shaft is scored you where the seal rides, you will need to get a new shaft. You might be able to put a sleeve on the shaft to cover the groove like is commonly done with automotive rear-end shafts.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Must be an epedemic out there for rw pumps

Here's another one with some more flix, and it includes a link to Maine Sail's writeup that Rich mentioned.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6766.0.html

The trick to whacking out the old seals is to buy a 1/4 inch hex head Allen wrench and grinding it down so it fits.

..."so easy a cave man can do it"

Holy Cow, how'd you know??? :eek::eek::eek:

Must have been the hammer part...

Status
Not open for further replies.