raritan bay anchorage

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tony C

any good advise on moorings or anchorages that I can pick up in the raritan bay area. I'm doing an overnighter and would like to find some quiet place away from the commercial traffic.

P

Pete

Guest mooring?

Tony: Try the Raritan Yacht Club in Perth Amboy. You might be able to pick up a guest mooring there, either free (based on club reciprocity) or for a very nominal fee. Their mooring field is huge, and I'm sure they have open spots available on a regular basis. One other option is to drop the hook in Horseshoe Cove on the bay side of Sandy Hook. It's not Raritan Bay, I grant you, but it's a quiet, more or less protected anchorage and it's absolutely free. (Of course!) It'd leave you exposed to a westerly blow, but that shouldn't be too big a problem most of the time. You're almost entirely isolated from commercial traffic, and the view is a helluva lot nicer than what you'd have on Raritan Bay. Enjoy your overnighter. Pete s/v EmmieLou (ODay 322) Little Silver, NJ

May 17, 2005
Catalina 250 New York, NY
I Vote for Horseshoe Cove Too

Horseshoe Cove on Sandy Hook is a great anchorage. Been there a dozen times, always held great, even when strong fronts came through. And like Pete says, the view is a helluva lot nicer, especially if you dinghy ashore and check out the nude beach (really)!

Jun 3, 2004
Pearson 323 Staten Island
Great Kills Harbor

Richmond County Yacht Club has moorings & it is close to several restaurants (Coale's is better than Marina Cafe). Let us know what you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.