Rapture of the Deep - Humor(?)

Dec 4, 2006
Hunter 34 Havre de Grace
Dear Blabby,

I’m concerned about my mental health..

I remember reading a humorous definition of “Rapture of the Deep” as being:
“an obsessive desire to be surrounded by possessions of a nautical nature, such as lamps made from running lights and tiny ship's wheels”. At the time I thought it absurd. But lately…

Allow me to summarize a part of my day. I arrive at work, wearing my Hunter fleece top (purchased at sailboatowners.com), the cap of the day is the nice one that I got for subscribing to Cruising World at the boat show. Walking by the workbench, looking at the very nice painting of the U.S.S. Constellation kicking the crap out of a French brig hanging there, I hear the computer sound the bosuns whistle. I have a new email message. So I sit down at the desk. Take a quick look at the marina webcam that sits on the computer desktop. Check the current situation in the Vendee Globe and Volvo Ocean races. Open my email to find the latest discount offer from West Marine there. Stare at the print of Nelsons ships drying sails at Spithead sitting on my desk while planning my day. Leave the office taking a glance at the charcoal drawing of the Concord Point light that I did a few years ago.
And so on….

Get my point? Have I become obsessed?

I have to ashamedly admit to one day leaving the main menu screen of my “Master and Commander” DVD play for a couple hours just to hear the maritime sounds of creaking, water splashing, and wind.

But, I did draw the line at having a little prop on my trailer hitch receiver. Don’t want people to think that I have one of those “other” kind of boats after all.

So my dearest Blabby, oracle of the ages, am I doomed? Will my days be spent in a padded berth. Errr, uhh, padded room?

Signed,
Sailing on the Brain

Dear S.O.B.

There is one important question I must ask….
Don’t you think it seems the race boats are breaking an inordinate bunch of stuff even before reaching the Southern Ocean?

Capt. Blabby
S/V Blabbalong

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I didn't think you were over the top until the bosun's whistle computer alert. After that its complete looney bin stuff. Where can I get one of those compter alerts? I just put my boat up and am near the edge myself!

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 27 (89-94) Whiskeytown, CA
No worries mate. You seem to have a very sound mind which grasps priorities in the right order, have a great taste in decor, although you don't mention mermaids and I highly suggest you collect the properly unattired ones until your wife protests. May you be able to collect 3 more than I. You didn't mention music, may I suggest the album "Into the Arms of the Sea" by the Black Irish Band played in the background accompanied by a dark ale of your choice until your wife say's ENOUGH. May you have 3 more than I. Today I'm putting together a RC sailboat, replica of Black Magic, to sail in the hot tub this winter. My cell phone ring is currently the boatswain call for "All Hands". Here's a link for .mp3 boatswain calls: http://home.earthlink.net/~bosun-m8/id20.html

The word looney is reserved for those who don't understand.