Ranger 33 Standing Rigging Sizes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2011
Ranger 33 Norfolk
Hello! Yes, I did search but didn't find what I was looking for :redface:

Does anyone happen to know what the original rigging size was? I'm in my second year of ownership of "Cool Beans" and I would like to replace the standing rigging for peace of mind. . .it of dubious age and origin, though it isn't original so it isn't going on 37 years old lol (head stay was new in 05 with a furling unit). The current rig is 1/4" all around with a 5/16" head stay. The original pin holes are 3/8", so 1/4" wire is the max? But is it type 304 or 316 SS wire? I've run some numbers based on Skene's 8th Edition, and depending on how I fudge the Righting Moment from his chart, I find the rig is either way under sized or close to being able to use type 316 SS from Rigging Only :doh: I might just go with 304, 1/4" shrouds and backstay to be safer. . .

Just, I'd like some opinions or feed back on what was either originally there or what hasn't let you down so far :)

Thanks!!!
~Steve S/V Cool Beans

May 18, 2009
Beneteau First 38 Portland
My paper copy of the owners manual has the standing and running rigging sizes on the last page. Unfortunately, it's on my boat, which is 75 miles away. I don't expect to be over until 3/19. Hope you're not in a big hurry...

Mar 8, 2011
Ranger 33 Norfolk
Not that big of a hurry. . .boat comes out of the water hopefully the end of this month. ..

I have a copy of someones owners manual in .pdf format. . .think it was from "Vibrants" website. . .didn't catch any rigging sizes in it as I was hoping :doh:

Have you changed your rigging yet? Is yours original?

Also, your website on "Latis" has been most helpful. It really helped me figure out how to repair the side decks at the aft lower chain plates! Now I get to pop the cabin top back up and shim the mast post in a few weeks ;)

May 18, 2009
I have a PDF of the manual (also probably from Phil's site), but my paper manual has one more page with the rigging dimensions.

I was told my mast wasn't stock, but I don't really know, and the person that told me wasn't an expert. After 35 years, boats evolve :)

Mar 8, 2011
Ranger 33 Norfolk
interesting you mention that. . .The guy I bought mine from said the same thing. . .that the mast isn't original, but he didn't know much other than that. . .and I was taking my boom apart today to clean it up and it had "CAL 33" cast into the inside of the goose neck :confused:

May 18, 2009
So, your Cal 34 discovery makes this data a little suspect. It's on an attached jpg of the page.

Anyway, I made an unexpected trip to the boat (Brookings, OR) because the Port was destroyed by Friday's tsunami. My dock and the boats nearby escaped without a scratch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG08lsGzoP4

Attachments

Mar 8, 2011
Ranger 33 Norfolk
incredible surge :eek:

I do hope everything was salvageable. . .

Many thanks on the rigging sizes! They fall right in line with my own rigging calcs :dance: It is also a good sheet to add to the owners manual. . .I need to DL and print off those you have on your ranger site. . .nice site btw.

Also I was wrong about the headstay. I went to the boat and dug around and found the PO Furlex install manual. It is a 9/32" Headstay which would make sense if he moved to 316 SS. The Furlex FS matches the stock length, so I assume the mast is the same height. . .

Many thanks for all the help!! I'll be sure to continue to pick your brain if you're around :D

Status
Not open for further replies.