Raising Main and Jib to top of Mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stan

I'm having trouble raising my main and jib all the way to top of my mast. The last 18 inches becomes very tight. I'm using halyard winches but don't want to break anything. Everything is loose at the bottom. Downhaul outhaul etc. The main will not go up enough to get the last lug in the channel.

J

jkleid@excite.com

raising the main/jib

you shouldn't have to force the sails. have you looked up to see if all is clear, since you are having the same problem with both sails at the same height, it would seem that a close inspection of the top of the mast is called for. or- look at the base and be sure the sails are being fed correctly.

E

Ed P.

Crossed Halyards

It's very possible that assuming your halyards are internal, that they may be crossed and bind near the end of their travel. You may have to drop the mast to confirm this, but try this first. Attach a long length of spare line to your halyards clew attachment, and keeping tension on the line, raise each of the halyards to the top of the mast. If you feel it binding, then you can be pretty sure that either the lines are crossed, or perhaps one of the masthead sheaves is broken. Good Luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.