Raising hieght of Boom

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charlie Grba

I would like to have the Boom on my Hunter 45 raised eight to twelve inches. This modification would reduce the possibility of a head injury from the boom while standing in the cockpit, and give me the necessary boom clearance to add covering from my dodger to the biminee. Looking at the project, the main sail would have to be modified, the boom vang repositioned upward, and a new slot would be required to accept the slides for the main sail. I'm curious if anyone has made such a modicication to their boat and would the reduced sail area created by raising the boom create any problems besides loosing some performance? In regards to the above, would it also be possible to move the traveler just forward of the dodger? My concern is if the traveler were moved forward would it still have enough strength to control the boom. The above modification would make entering and exiting the cabin easier since the main sheet would be out of the way and I would not have to worry about someone (with a low brim hat) walking forward into the aft part of the boom. Sincerely, Charlie Grba

T

TOMMY MCNAMARA

BOOOOOOOM

I live aboard a 450,1999 and have a full bimini and the furling main with plenty of room. I dont know what year yours is. I thought all were the same,unless you are 7, tall.Thats the way it came,buy a new one

E

Ed Schenck

Tom: H45, not H450.

Personally, Charlie, I would have a hard time modifying a boat as nice as the H45. My own old H37C has the same layout, low boom and bridgedeck traveller. I once studied changing it but decided against it. And the mainsail expense was not an issue because I was ordering a new one anyway. One owner moved his boom about six inches just by moving the lower mounting holes of the gooseneck plate to the upper holes on the mast. On some boats you have that much leeway at the top anyway. But now the designed CE(center-of-effort) has moved higher on the main. Not sure how that would affect you where you sail. Moving the traveller is a common mod. In fact all later H37Cs came from the factory that way. And it does allow the bimini and dodger to connect. But I don't think I could give up the control. I like knowing that I can dump the air, fast. Just one newcomers minority opinion. :)

E

Eric van Soeren

Similar question for a Legend 35

I am considering a similar modification on my Legend 35. My thought was that rather than change the position of the gooseneck, I could just have the clew of the main moved up about 8 to 10 inches. That would require taking a triangle shaped piece out of the bottom of the main, but would give me the clearance I want in the cockpit. Any comments on whether that would work?

J

Johnny Hughes

Raise the clew

I had the clew raised about 9 inches and left the tack the same on my 1988 Hunter 40 legend. The triangle piece was removed raising the boom about 9 inches at the clew. At the same time I had the sail modified to be loose footed. The boom now clears the bimini quite well and I have noticed a considerable increase in performance, which I attribute to the loose footed main. I did not move the main sheet, although I have thought about it several times I am not sure it would provide enough power to sheet the main since it would be moving the traveler about eight feet forward on the 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.