Raising a Mac 25 on the trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thom Francola

What is a safe and efficent way to raise a Mac 25 on the trailer so that we can paint the areas covered by the two boards that she rests on?

S

Scott K.

I've Done It

First, build a heavy duty "saw horse" for the stern to rest on. Measure the height from the ground to the hull bottom at the stern first. Built mine out of 4 x 4s and 2 x 6s. Now, slide the "horse" under the edge of the stern, where it is the stongest. Then, crank up the bow end of the trailer. The boat will raise up, but you have to brace the hull forward with lengths of 4 x 4s. Now crank the trailer down. There will only be about 2 -3 inches of space between the hull and the boards, but just enough to get a paint brush in. Be careful. Brace the trailer wheels so nothing moves. I did this two years ago, so hopefully I've remembered the procedure correctly. If I missed a detail, I apologize. Just think about every move before you do it! Good luck!

A

Andrew

So have I

When I raised mine I lowered the keel two turns of the winch, so that the keel stayed resting on the trailer. The rest was pretty much the same. AJ

M

Mikecz

raising a 25 on a trailer

I did the same thing. However, I lowered the bow as much as possible on the jack, then measured for the saw horses. When I cranked the jack back up I had more than adequate room to paint, however, I did not put anything except the brush/roller in the gap. Did the rest of the boat after I lowered it back on the trailer. Safety first.

Status
Not open for further replies.