Raised Circles on Cabin Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom FitzGibbon

On the cabin roof of my 1979 H33 there are 2 or 3 (at least that's all I've noticed) raised circles in the fiberglass. The circles are about 4-1/2 inches in diameter and are raised about 1/4 inch over the rest of the cabin top. They are not covered in non-skid material. I can't figure out whether they are (i) reinforced attachment points for deck hardware such as line organizers, rope clutches, etc. (if they are that, their location is strange), (ii) attachment points for additional vents, or (iii) something else. Can anyone tell me what these are?

C

carol donovan

winch pads

Tom: The areas you've described are winch pads, already properly reenforced if you mount a winch in that location. /c s/v Twilight

S

Sam Lust

Mystery pads

My 83 has 6 of these interesting babies. Two between the forward hatch and mast base, two more even with the mast base, and the last two at the aft end of the cabin top. The aft ones are appropriate for winches and are used for that. Mine came with a small winch on the starboard side for the halyards. I found when I mounted a pair of larger Barient 22's I had that there was an aluminum backing plate on the starboard side but not on the port side. (More cost cutting?) The forward-most port side pad was used to mount one of the Swedish mushroom vents. Perfect position to catch the jib sheet as it comes around. That one is up for replacement with a Nico powered vent as soon as money becomes available. The one on the port side at the mast is in a good spot for the vent pipe of a cabin heater mounted on the port side forward bulkhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.