Rain gear - what to get?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Yesterday I was at the boat doing some things and it started to rain. I mean the big stuff that was just steady. I have no rain gear so by the time I was done, I was soaking wet.

I see the chanderly has some rain gear. But I am not sure what to get. Several questions for those that have/use rain gear.

1. Are the two piece better than the just the long rain jacket?
2. Sizing is done over existing clothing or in one's birthday suit?
3. Any recommendations for boots?

I don't need foul weather gear just a good rain retardant so I am some what comfortable in the rain. Thanks

Shell

Sep 26, 2007
Catalina 30 standard JC/NYC
For light rain, all the offshore rain gear works great. But for the really heavy stuff, the plain old rubber yellow suits are the only things that work. It may not be cool or fashionable and I'm sure many will disagree but look at what work boat fisherman use for weeks on end. Unlike the yacht racers, they are not paid to wear them.

keep dry!
SH

Jan 11, 2007
Columbia 28 Sarasota
I have been watching foul weather gear a lot lately. I too have make-shift rain gear. When I am caught out there in it, the first thing I grab is the cheap pvc yellow long jacket and pants. Bought them years ago, they work great, keep you dry from the rain, but woefully uncomfortable and I end up sweating from the lack of breathe-ability.

I think that I have resolved to save my allowance and buy a set of the West Marine Third Reef gear. I have seen them priced as low as 80.00 for the jacket and 50.00 for the pants.

One of the other things that's top on my list this year is a bimini top. My old body can't take too many more summers of sailing here in FL with out one.

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Hey Brian, it never rains in California!

A few years ago I bought a West Marine Explorer jacket at one of the clearance sales West Marine was having. I have to say, for what you would expect in Southern California, it does the trick. I ended up keeping it in the trunk of my car because I use it for work more then I use it on the boat.

Jan 27, 2007
Irwin 37' center cockpit cleveland ohio
Hit a second hand store. Most people don't know what a rainjacket is! I bought 3 like-new marine coastal rainjackets, with zip in liner, for $5.00 each.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The Gill Key West series is a big seller here in Annapolis. And they work. I found an army pocho is great rain gear if not doing a whole lot of action on deck.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably go with the Third Reef gear. I thought the Chanderly here had rain gear. I swear I did a search and found some. Maybe I was searching Defender.com and not here. Damn... old age. LOL

Aug 16, 2006
Ericson 32 Oregon coast
Dang, what about Gortex?

It's supposed to let water vapor out without letting liquid water in. Nobody's tried it?

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Brian...

I'm mostly a "fair weather" sailor, but have found the Third Reef gear very adequate for the infrequent times when I've been caught out in the cockpit either cruising or racing. Stayed dry in a thunderstorm downpour, but will sweat you up if the sun comes out (doesn't breath like Goretex)!

MikeH

Jan 7, 2004
Hunter 260 Perrysburg, OH
We use light weight jackets and pants, waterproof and large enough to fit over clothes, that we originally got from Lands End for about $60 for each item. I don't see them available on their website now, though. The thing we love about these is that they came with their own stowage bags, typically 5" around x 9" long. We keep them stuffed in the bags usually and they don't take up much space in a locker. When the remnants of Hurricane Ike finally passed over Lake Erie I had my gear on and stayed dry and comfortable with great mobility.