Radio License's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2012
Hunter 45 CC Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
Do I need anything more than a Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit, and a Ships Station License to operate my ICOM 802 SSB Radio, and VHF Radios on my boat?

Jeff Jellick
S/V Sooooo Lucky
Alamatos Bay, Long Beach

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Hi Jeff! As long as you stay off the ham frequencies, that is all you need for the radios. Just keep in mind that about one third of the programmed frequencies are ham frequencies, and for that you'll need a general license. I'd encourage you to get the general license, as there are a lot more ham operators out there. Gordon West has a great program and it really is a fun class.

http://www.gordonwestradioschool.com/

You'll need two tests, one for the tech and one for the general license. There are a lot of free classes for the tech. Seal Beach Yacht Club used to sponsor a class, I think.

Mar 12, 2008
BTW, I forgot. One or two of the frequencies that are programmed into the Icom M802 require a ham Extra license. You can lock the radio to just marine band if you like to keep from transmitting on the wrong band.

Are you up and running on the radio?

Feb 16, 2012
Up and Running ?

Karl,

That is a good question, not really, as I am still reading the manual, and trying to figure things out. I'm sure it not as complicated as I think it is. Just have to figure it out. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

Mar 12, 2008
The manual can be confusing. Especially if you get really deep into the workings of the DSC function. They also seem to mystify the install process as well. Were the issues that you are having deal with the install or the operation?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2012
It's the Operation

Karl,
It's the operation, not the install, as I had a lot of help on the install by someone very knowledgable about marine electronics, and the ICOM M802. Will keep reading the manual and see if that helps.

Jeff

Mar 12, 2008
No problem. If you gt stuck, I sent you an IM with my number. I live about 4 miles from your marina and will be happy to stop by and show you. Also, you are welcome to shoot over the Vincent Thomas Bridge to my boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.