Radar on 321 Oceanis

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jerry Purdy

I am contemplating installing radar on my Beneteau 321 Oceanis but I am not sure where to mount the radome. 1) It appears that a front-mast mount is not practical due to the baby stay. The mount would have to be above the spreaders and I don't want the extra weight that high on the mast and I think the radar performance at close range would be adversely effected. A pole mount on the stern seems to be the solution BUT where and how is my problem. The stern rail only comes to the corners of the boat and a life line gate extends across the entire transom. This, along with the slope of the hull, causes a problem with putting the pole base mount on the swim step, in that, it would have to be so far inboard that there is nothing to brace it to at the rail level. I've thought about attaching a bracket with a backing plate on the transom on which the pole base could be mounted BUT how do I get to the inside of the transom on the port side of the boat, the fuel tank is in the way? Does any ome have any suggestions? Can you provide any diagrams or pictures of mounts you have done on the 321? Any advice, suggestions or hints you can offer will be appreciated. 2) I will also need to replace the pedestal guard to get space at the wheel to mount the radar itself. I've already installed an autohelm and GPS at the wheel and found pulling cables through the existing pedestal tubing to be a tight fit. There certainly isn't enough room to run any more cables through them. I am looking at the Edson Offset Guard or Angled Guard with 1'1/8" tubing and 9-1/2" standard width. Will either these fit EASILY on my boat? Once again any advice, hints, etc you can offer will be appreciated. Jerry Purdy Moonshadow II

Status
Not open for further replies.