Racor

Oct 22, 2013
Benetau 32 Palmas del Mar, Humacao, PR
Hello. What would be the right size Racor for a Yanmar 3G .
My used B 321 has a 60GPH Racor . I believe this is too big?
Thank you.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... What would be the right size Racor for a Yanmar 3G .My used B 321 has a 60GPH Racor . I believe this is too big?
3G what??? 20??? I doubt you can ever be "too big", as bigger usually means longer between NEEDED changes. As a generality, engines use a half- gallon per hour- not 60- in our size boat- my B323, 3YM20.

Oct 22, 2013
Believe the engine is 3GMD.
The question is whether having a larger filter in any way affects the flow of fuel into fuel pump. Had issue with engine dying out today(although we were able to sail back to the marina and into the slip on sail -very happy about this) . We had changed the lift pump and motored for about one hour and were fine, but today, died after about 30min.
At the dock,I bled the engine at the filter by the lever on the fuel pump, there was no diesel coming out; took out the line from the Racor to the engine , blew air through it and some disesel and a few particles of dirt came out- and no fuel coming out of the Racor. I wonder if having a large Racor may be an issue. I will be changing the lines and the racor. Thank you.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
The only issue in having a large flow rate filter is that if you have cruddy fuel; i.e. Algae it can grow in and clog the filter. That said; a smaller filter would probably clog faster.
There should be no concerns with an oversize filter
Peter
C310 #147
For Pete's Sake

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Believe the engine is 3GMD.
The question is whether having a larger filter in any way affects the flow of fuel into fuel pump. Had issue with engine dying out today(although we were able to sail back to the marina and into the slip on sail -very happy about this) . We had changed the lift pump and motored for about one hour and were fine, but today, died after about 30min.
At the dock,I bled the engine at the filter by the lever on the fuel pump, there was no diesel coming out; took out the line from the Racor to the engine , blew air through it and some disesel and a few particles of dirt came out- and no fuel coming out of the Racor. I wonder if having a large Racor may be an issue. I will be changing the lines and the racor. Thank you.
A larger filter (surface area) will have a lower pressure drop (flow resistance) than a smaller (surface area) filter.
A larger filter will have greater 'dirt capacity' before plugging, and vice versa.

If the filter system was set up correctly, what was the gage pressure (vacuum) on the filter housing when the engine stopped for lack of fuel? What was the gage pressure (vacuum) after you changed the filter?
If you changed the filter and there was no or little change on the gage, then: fungus/bacteria blocked fuel line, or blocked diptube strainer in the tank, or blocked tank vent.

What is the color of your fuel oil? And if not 'dark/black and murky', does it look 'hazy' when in a clean glass container and held up to strong white light?

Oct 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments.

I have not checked the guage pressures.

The diesel looked clear; but no I did not think of the possibility of bacteria or algae.

So, will look into all of this during the week and follow up.

Your comments have been very helpful.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Some of the older Racor housing assemblies have small integral check valves to prevent reverse flow back to the tank. Sometimes these 'ball-checks' can get stuck closed if bacterial/fungal asphalt-like goo is present and begins to harden/solidify. The common diesel microorganism contaminators are 'resin formers' - their metabolism changes fuel oil into 'asphalt-like' substances.

Oct 22, 2013
I am guessing that since the engine has new lift pump, maybe it applied more suction and some junk occluded a line. I am having the lines changed- the main fuel line is old and looks beaten up from the outside- so perhaps it is damaged inside as well- and for sure follow your suggestions to check the valves on the Racor.
Thank you.

Oct 22, 2013
Just a follow up on my old thread. When we opened the tank found that the suction tubing had broken off, so it was drawing diesel from the top of the tank only- so technically ran out of diesel . Replaced it and running nicely. Old tubing was changed as well as Racor filter.

A question on biocide- is it true that adding biocide may actually cause blockage of filters?
Thanks