Racor fuel filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed Chamberlain

I have a universal M2-12 in my 1990 Capri 26. I don,t have a Racor water seperator type fuel filter and was wondering if this is needed, would be nice, or is unnecessary? The fuel filter I do have is the spin on type between the fuel pump and the engine. I sail mostly in an inland lake but occasinally trailer to the ocean. If I should have a Racor what size would be recommended? Thank you for any help you could give me.

D

Dave

Racor filter for Capri26

Hi Ed; I would highly recommend the installation of a Racor 120 fuel filter/separator with a 2 micron filter. I had a 1990 Capri26, Hull #50. I installed the filter on the forward edge of the rear berth in the engine compartment. It sat just above the shaft log. Easy to get to and see and drain. I would recommend that you replace the fuel line from the tank to the Racor filter location and from the Racor filter to the fuel pump mounted on the bulkhead in the engine compartment. I found that the factory hose would "weep" at the clamps when I tried to reseat them. I guess 10 years is about as long as it lasts in the engine compartment. I also installed a fuel shutoff valve in the line just under the first lift off cover in the rear berth. Much easier to get to to shut off fuel in an emergency or to change filters than the one on the fuel tank! Be sure to use CG approved fuel hose, available from West Marine, Boats US, or Torresen's in Muskegon. The 90 Capri26 with the inboard Mk2-12 is a great boat. The only reason we sold it was to move up to a Catalina 30 MkIII. You can e-mail me direct if you have any other questions on the filter or anything else. e-mail is capri2650@aol.com Fair winds Dave

G

Gordon Torresen

Water seperator filter

I would classify a water seperating filter assemble as "would be nice". As I have said many times, filters are not required if the fuel is clean. It is virtually impossible to guaranty the your fuel will always be clean so it is nice to have some way to catch the contaminants. The biggest offender is water. It can show up in a properly installed tank through condensation. Installation of a water seperator allows you to see the water before it does harm, IF you check the seperator. If water is ever found in a water seperator, it means that there is water in the tank that MUST be removed. Additives don't do it.

E

Ed Chamberlain

Thanks

Thanks all for the quick response,I will install a Racor asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.