Racing Update from Island Hops

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott Johnston

I had dropped a note a while back on how difficult it was racing against newer boats with our cruising loaded - shoal keel - 83-H34. This weekend there were two races. The second one we got off to a bad start and had a really hard time tacking up against the current to get around the mark. We made it finally and don't feel too bad as two other boats dropped out. We had decided to fly a 110 instead of the 150. The boat just feels better balanced with our minimal trimming skills. This also increased our PHRF from 147 to 153. In the first race we managed a great start and despite having just added a roll-up dingy and 5hp motor to our loaded cruising inventory of spares, we did really well. Finished ahead of 3 boats at the line and even beat all 3 on corrected time! One of them was the newer Catilina 36! The admiral was very pleased. We even ran part of the course wing on wing - It can be done, especially if the first officer is willing to act as a human pole. More fun was to be had at the between races raft up. While others were munching on thier cold meat & bread, we grilled some shrimp on the barbie and had sauces brewing on the stove for our post race dinner. When we didn't do as well on the second race I made the excuse that the admiral wouldn't let me heel the boat as much for fear of spilling the portabelo mushrooms soaking in the wine sauce for the samon. I think we left everyone talking about those crazy people on Island Hops. Scott 83-H34 Island Hops

Status
Not open for further replies.