Racing solo in a crewed fleet race (AKA busy day)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Last Saturday our club held its around-the-island race, with starts for each fleet. This year we introduced a short-handed (1 or 2) fleet so more boat can get out with less crew mixing. I was going to solo-sail BlueJ in that fleet, but missed the memo that said only Sunday, Monday and Thursday racing would have a short handed start. So my choices were go home, go cruise, or go big. The first half of the race was light and shifty (not fun while short handed) but at the top the of the island the breeze broke into the teens and it was a BlueJ day all the way home.

Pop the kite for the middle 1/3 of the race, 3 jibes down the channel!

IMG_7012.jpg

The a blistering beat home to the line!

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
really, really, really sweet! thanks for sharing clay. that just made my day

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
A friend and I were convinced to enter a charity regatta just before the start because of a low turnout, just us on a Jeanneau 36ip. Windward/Leeward best of 5, after 3 we both looked at each other and said "I don't think I'm up to that 2 more times".

Nov 8, 2010
A friend and I were convinced to enter a charity regatta just before the start because of a low turnout, just us on a Jeanneau 36ip. Windward/Leeward best of 5, after 3 we both looked at each other and said "I don't think I'm up to that 2 more times".
I hear you. Fully crewed racing means a full time job for everyone, and shorthanded means Full time++, in addition having to prioritize what the LEAST important thing at any time, and ignoring it.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Trying to imagine flying the kite singlehanded in a race. Are you able to use a pilot?
Well done!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Beauty!

How often do you sail BlueJ solo? I don't think I've read anything about your solo sailing before.
I'm where Dan is about the chute. Maybe a lesson video and thread is in the near future?
:dancing: "How to Sail Solo Under a Chute" :dancing:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Trying to imagine flying the kite singlehanded in a race. Are you able to use a pilot?
Well done!
Its a bit of a trick, but the boat is set up for it. And while I have an ST2000 AP with wireless remote, we can't use them in racing because our current SIs to not allow the needed exception to RSS52 (that might change). I do have a TillerClutch that I can use for the moments when I have to leave the tiller, but 99% of the time that the kite is going up, flying, jibing, or dousing, I'm driving with the tiller between my knees.

Nov 8, 2010
Beauty!

How often do you sail BlueJ solo? I don't think I've read anything about your solo sailing before.
I'm where Dan is about the chute. Maybe a lesson video and thread is in the near future?
:dancing: "How to Sail Solo Under a Chute" :dancing:

-Will (Dragonfly)
I go out solo about once a week typically, perhaps more this year due to covid. I don't take lots of pictures as I'm busy, and for some reason I usually don't take video. Now I've posted videos and pics while soloing, but agreed not a lot. This race was a bit of a fluke as I got two pictures and a video from friends that were either racing, powerpoating, or vacationing on the island.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
To complete the trifecta of pictures, here is one taken from the island. We're beating up to the finish in about 16 knots true. Behind and to leeward is a double handed j/70. They were about 50 yards in front of me on the downwind, but had issues getting the kite down at the bottom of the island. The wind went forward and to drop they had to turn way down, which allowed me to catch them. Fortunately I have a pretty good playbook move for that reachy drop, and had the kite down in about 15 seconds without having to turn down. Managed to keep them behind me to the finish.

from josh.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
Re racing and sailing a spin solo, here are some thoughts; some related to BlueJ and how she is set up. But they are generally universal.

Soloing is really three things:
Setup
Playbook
Execution

Setup
The better the setup is, the better everything works. The key setup criteria for solo/racing is being able to drive while doing the widest range of tasks. On modern boats designed for soloing, its why you see a tiller with and extension, an end-boom mainsheet/traveler and sheet winches close at hand. A wide cockpit adds stability downwind, and allows you to drive with your (limited) human ballast placed best. But obviously you need to work with what you got. Nothing against wheel boats, but it's very hard to drive a wheel and do ANYTHING else.

In the picture below, you can see the ST2000 AP, but also the TillerClutch and line. The TillerClutch is absolutely key if you have a tillerboat; its like a wheel lock on a wheel. Flick on and flick off. The Davis Tiller Tamer is not in the same league. If you have and can use a AP, get the remote if one is available. The Raymarine one (S100) is OK, but nowhere as good as the NKE one for sailing. The NKE one will also turn the boat head to wind if you MOB, a potentially lifesaving feature.

Just in front of the tiller is the mainsheet and traveler. Placed here allows trimming while driving from either rail, and also easy jibing by throwing the mainsheet over while steering with you knees.

The winches on the side decks are for 1) spin sheets, and 2) jib sheets when cross trimming the headsail. Having them here again allows you to drive while trimming and maneuvering.

At the companionway are the jib sheets (when not cross trimmed) and ALL the control lines and halyards. ALL. Unless there is an issue, I never have to leave the cockpit to do any maneuver. Most I can do from behind the traveler. If I do have to come forward of the traveler, I can either 1) take the tiller with me with the extension 2) lock it momentarily with the TillerClutch. Per the playbook, no action north of the traveler takes more than 15 seconds. If a control line does not come back to here, or a trim control (like jib cars) do not have a control line, run them. BlueJ has like 20 lines that come back, but then I never need to go forward.

Like all modern boats BlueJ flys only a non-overlapping jib as a headsail, and even if you boat normally flies a bigger headsail you should think about limiting your soloing to a jib. Reasons.
1) It means the main is the primary trimming sail, and that is usually close to the driver. Again, drive while trimming.
2) Its generally more manageable, and easier for one person to see around.
3) The key one; you never have to worry about it in maneuvers. Leave it up, leave it set; backwind it with a tack/jibe and it will not care. Tack it after the boat comes around if need be. Genoas get caught on spreaders.

Playbook
Actually document step by step EVERY possible maneuver. Really, write them down. BlueJ has a crewed Playbook, and a solo playbook. Have at least two jibes (inside, outside), and three drops (windward clean, windward dirty, leeward dirty).

Execution.
Practice practice practice. Start in light winds, and then move into less comfortable breeze. First times out, bring someone that watches and enjoys the day unless really needed. 90% of solo spin sailing in the confidence you have in yourself in a maneuver. That is something that is earned over time and reps. You have to KNOW whats going to happen when you take each step.
Remember and take advantage of the lower apparent wind speed when the kite is up, but remember that all of that changes when the kite comes down, and even more so when you turn into the wind!

IMG_6989.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
BlueJ has like 20 lines that come back, but then I never need to go forward.
I only count 17. ;)

Nothing against wheel boats, but its very hard to drive a wheel and do ANYTHING else.
With practice it’s possible to drive with a foot while trimming with both hands, at least for a few seconds. Or stand in front of the binnacle and make some steering adjustments while tuning other lines that are led to the front of the cockpit. A wheel brake is very handy for that, but like you said a wheel generally doesn’t provide the same amount of flexibility as a tiller.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Does BlueJ have a sym kite? Trying to remember earlier videos of the (then) new bowman performing end-for-end jibes.

Nice race Clay. No Worries is woefully lacking in rigging for short-handed sailing.

Nov 8, 2010
Does BlueJ have a sym kite? Trying to remember earlier videos of the (then) new bowman performing end-for-end jibes.

Nice race Clay. No Worries is woefully lacking in rigging for short-handed sailing.
we carry both.

Syms for w/l and crewed racing. Runners and reachers .5oz, .75oz, 1.5oz

Asyms tacked at the bow for cruising or shorthanded racing. .6oz and 1.5oz

we can also fly the asyms off the pole using the ASOP technique. It’s monster fast on longer races. We don’t use it often but we’re rigged for it. Fun.

Pretty much every time we turn down and the wind goes behind the beam, it’s time for a kite on BlueJ. Sail with us, you get used to it.

2D343654-A7EB-422B-B084-880946836A6B.jpeg

Nov 8, 2010
True Multitasker... I love it. Congrats Clay.
Thanks.
To me, this is just being part of being a solid all-round sailor. Can do any position on the boat, and can do them all, all by yourself if needed. Or just for fun! ;-)

Nov 8, 2010
With practice it’s possible to drive with a foot while trimming with both hands, at least for a few seconds. Or stand in front of the binnacle and make some steering adjustments while tuning other lines that are led to the front of the cockpit. A wheel brake is very handy for that, but like you said a wheel generally doesn’t provide the same amount of flexibility as a tiller.
I agree with all of that, and from a practical matter, even it you want one its hard to find boats in the USA with tillers. Seems as soon as its long enough to put a wheel on it, they do. Even it it looks ridiculous! Only tiller boats sold here are purpose designed for short handed sailing; J97e, Sunfast 3200, Pogos, Figaro 3 etc

A potential breath of fresh air, the new Oceanis 30.1 is available with either dual wheels or a tiller. I'm very interested to see how many go out like this here vs Europe, where I'm sure 90% will be tillers. Designed by Finot/Conq, its really a big BlueJ

o301.jpeg