Racing Rule Question on capsizing

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
So, I had a random thought today and was wondering what the ruling would be for a windward mark rounding in the following scenarios. I race ILCA (Lasers) on Tuesdays and when we were out in some 15-18 mph winds with 28mph gusts so things got spirited!

Scenario 1 Preparing to round the Windward mark: Boat A gets to the 3 boat line first and then starts to round. Boat B is slightly to leeward but astern. Boat A capsizes and boat B must bear away to avoid the mast. Although boat A was entitled to room can boat B protest because he could not maintain proper course?

Scenario 2 Heading down wind with oncoming boats: Boat A has just rounded the windward mark and forgot the Vang so they could not bear away fast enough and then in a death roll capsized. Boat B is on starboard inside the 3 boat circle and has to give way to the capsized vessel on the run. Boat B makes the rounding but then again must jibe as Boat A is still flopping on its side trying to right the boat. Can Boat B protest?

I suppose both questions are trying to determine how the RRS apply to overturned boats in the way. Our races are far more friendly so we would not protest a capsized vessel but it’s an interesting thought experiment as the season starts to wind down.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Rule 22:
CAPSIZED, ANCHORED OR AGROUND; RESCUING
If possible, a boat shall avoid a boat that is capsized or has not regained control after capsizing, is anchored or aground, or is trying to help a person or vessel in danger. A boat is capsized when her masthead is in the water.

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No protest regarding a boat that has disabled itself. ColRegs may apply in that you may be required to render assistance. Not so frequently on Fun Beer can local races which often have powered rescue boats on the water to assist. On long distance open water races there is often a time allowance issued to boats stopped, rendering assistance to a mayday from a racer.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Very interesting questions. The RRS Case Book doesn’t really have anything like that. My initial reaction is that Boat B might be able to protest in both cases, depending on the timing.

The rules define Mark Room as “space to sail promptly in a seamanlike way to a position close to, and on the required side of, the mark”. If A, in the process of losing control into the capsize, takes more than that seamanlike amount of room and B needs to avoid them then I think they did commit a foul.

Once A’s masthead is actually in the water they are protected by Rule 22: “If possible, a boat shall avoid a boat that is capsized or has not
regained control after capsizing… A boat is capsized when her masthead is in the water.”

May 17, 2004
ColRegs may apply in that you may be required to render assistance.
Not just ColRegs but also the very first of the Racing Rules. Rule 1.1 - A boat, competitor, or support person shall give all possible help to any person or vessel in danger.

There is an interesting case in the case book related to that rule. Case 20 describes a situation where a competitor volunteered to help right a capsized boat, then later requested redress for their time. The local protest committee said that since the volunteered (without being asked), conditions were mild, and there was no evident danger redress was not warranted. The competitor appealed to US Sailing and was granted redress. They said it’s not up to the protest committee to decide if there was danger - if a competitor stops to help in what they perceive could be a dangerous situation they are entitled to redress.

Oct 22, 2014
I have forgotten how many times I laid a Lido 14, Laser or the FD over while racing in my youth. If you're going to push the envelope you are going to get splashed. We never gave a thought about redress or if we would help. When sailors are in the water nearby boats help. Now as competition levels increased, I know there were fewer splash moments.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@DArcy , @jssailem , @Davidasailor26 Thank you for the input. I did not know about Rule 22 and that makes since. It was from a strictly hypothetical scenario anyway and just something I was pondering while out racing in larger winds. Do any of you know how the RSS defines "In control" after a capsize? I know that it can sometimes take a min to sort the lines after a boat is righted and in a good gusty day I am sometimes well underway by the time I consider my self back "in control" of the boat.

Case in point: Racing in 30+ winds I capsize a lot and in those survival conditions the boat can actually right itself, sail a distance and then roll again if the capsize occurs while bearing away down wind. I had a couple capsizes a few weeks back in those extreme conditions where by the time I hade the mainsheet back in hand and tiller under control the boat was already humming along down wind on a full plane as I was heading on the run.

Oct 22, 2014
From a practical standpoint, the "in control" condition would be subjective and a decision by a committee would be based on the observed facts presented.

I might be "in control" when I have the tiller between my legs, the crew has a bailing bucket and we are trying to sort out the lines while the boat is being blown about. Are we racing... Yes likely attempting the task. Are we still unstable... Well of course, the boat is semi full of water and is more drifting than not.

Going over again is a new event.

If you present these facts to a committee of new sailors they could say "No, not in control." A jury of experienced racers may likely state "of course the boat is in control".

That does not mean the boat has the capacity to get out of your way or give you room. It may be enough to say the boat is recovering and can not take room from you. As a fellow racer you may argue that you need the room and so protest.

I have always felt it important to know your audience before you fly the Red flag.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Rule 22 tells us a boat is capsized when the masthead is in the water. In theory, once you begin to right the boat and the mast leaves the water you are no longer capsized.

The only separate definition of "capsized" is for windsurfing in appendix B:
A board is capsized when she is not under control because her sail or the competitor is in the water.

According to this definition once your sail or mast is out of the water you are back in control. That may not always be the case however since, as you mentioned, it sometimes takes a moment to sort out the lines and get the boat moving again.

Something to consider is that if you capsize onto another boat to leeward of you, they may be able protest you. For instance if A has overlap inside B at a windward mark and B capsizes onto A, then B breaks rule 18.2. While B is capsizing, she likely does not have full control of the boat so "not in control" may not be a good defense in a protest hearing.

• Helpful
May 17, 2004
Rule 22 tells us a boat is capsized when the masthead is in the water. In theory, once you begin to right the boat and the mast leaves the water you are no longer capsized.
True, but 22 gives relief to both a boat that “is capsized” and one that “has not regained control after capsizing”. So although you may have righted the boat you could still be protected by the second part of the rule. I think the threshold for “regaining control” would be somewhat subjective, but also tied to other terms like avoiding contact if “reasonably possible” (rule 14), and giving “room to keep clear” (definitions, rule 15, and rule 16.1).