Racing PHRF

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
There was a previous discussion regarding our boats PHRF, We raced her in a regatta on Lake Erie and were assigned a racing PHRF of 192. We have a 135 headsail, fixed prop and a wing keel. We came in third ! beat out by a larger Tarten and another bigger boat both with 150% headsails....
We were pleased to come in third for our first race.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I sail on Lake Ontario and my club gave me a 197 rating. I also have a 135%, fixed 2 blade and wing keel. The race committee started a new recreational division called 'Cracers', cruisers that want to race. I have been against a couple of C&C 35s and have done well, we don't fly spinnakers, white sails only. The good thing about the Cracer division is I get to leave my dodge/bimini/BBQ/galley as is, that is probably the reason for the higher PHRF. Like any club there are a lot of serious racers, when I meet them at the turn I usually let them know that I will give them room. It's a great way to tune sailing skills and learn the limits of your boat (and yourself).
I actually won the second series..... both of the other boats missed a race or 2, I guess slow and steady does win the race!

Cheers

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Dave
I race under PHRF-LO
My rating is 197 with 135, folding prop and fin keel.
I have won the LO300 short course double handed main and jib with that rating. Yours should be a couple of seconds higher with the wing. Have also won the Lake Ontario Short Handed Series the last 2 yrs.
PHRF doesn't care/give you benefit for roller furling dodgers etc. they assume good sails stock (race) equipment and well sailed.
Congrats on your results.
Peter

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
WTFO?

The CBYRA gave me a rating of 186!!! :eek: I will take your numbers any day!

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Peter, thanks for the congrats, but you should be getting the congrats! You have been doing the 'serious' racing and doing well.
I don't think there is a folding prop and new sails in my near future, I'll stick to the club racing. Speaking of folding prop, what do you have and are you happy with it? I would change my 2 blade fixed if an affordable alternative was available.

Cheers

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
When comparing ratings, you have to remember two things:

An area rating is a function of local conditions, so boats will rate differently in different 'weather' areas. ie Chessy vs SanFran

Even in like areas, the absolute rating is not as important as the RELATIVE difference between boats ratings. So if you rate say 200 in one area and two different competitive boats are 210 and 190, its the same if your boat rated 195 someplace else and the other two were 205 and 185. That happens all the time.

Jan 22, 2008
Peter, thanks for the congrats, but you should be getting the congrats! You have been doing the 'serious' racing and doing well. I don't think there is a folding prop and new sails in my near future, I'll stick to the club racing. Speaking of folding prop, what do you have and are you happy with it? I would change my 2 blade fixed if an affordable alternative was available. Cheers
Dave
I have the Flex-O-Fold 15 x 11 RH. Very happy with it. Much less expensive than alternates. Lots of power in reverse and less prop walk.
Peter

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Well, how things change... a friend just sold his 320 and kept the feathering Variprop. It is a 15 x 11 RH. He has offered it to me for $850, he is a mechanic and has also agreed to install it for this cost. I think the $$$ is reasonable but am asking for opinion from 'the group'. This is a 7 yr old fresh water prop, would appreciate all comments.
Cheers

dj

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Dave, IMHO I think that it is a fair deal, worst thing that can happen is that you buy it, use it for a season and if you do not like it-re-sell it! We have been back and forth over wether or not to go for the folding prop or not and if this came our way I would pull the trigger and do it. Again worst case, you can use it for a year, if you do not like how it works out, sell
it!

Jan 22, 2008
Well, how things change... a friend just sold his 320 and kept the feathering Variprop. It is a 15 x 11 RH. He has offered it to me for $850, he is a mechanic and has also agreed to install it for this cost. I think the $$$ is reasonable but am asking for opinion from 'the group'. This is a 7 yr old fresh water prop, would appreciate all comments. Cheers dj
You won't regret it. I am not sure how well they feather on a drifter of a day compared to a folding prop but at any other time they should be equivalent or better. Certainly better in reverse.
Don't count on selling it next year; my folding prop was the best investment I ever made in the boat
Peter

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Thanks for the words of wisdom.
Turns out this prop is a 14 pitch forward and 11 reverse, but it could be adjusted to a 13 forward. Owner says he will take it back if I don't like it!
I think it's a 'no brainer' and I am buying it. Thanks again for your opinions, now if my boat wasn't under 2 1/2 ft of snow I could try it....
Cheers
Dj

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Thanks for the words of wisdom.
Turns out this prop is a 14 pitch forward and 11 reverse, but it could be adjusted to a 13 forward. Owner says he will take it back if I don't like it!
I think it's a 'no brainer' and I am buying it. Thanks again for your opinions, now if my boat wasn't under 2 1/2 ft of snow I could try it....
Cheers
Dj
If you do not take that offer, a number of other readers probably will! :)
Gotta say, given that we all find a way to justify the cost of stuff for our boats... my boat was fastest with a feathering prop. This gained almost a knot of boat speed in all wind conditions. Backed up a lot better in the moorage, too.

Of course a new three blade featherer - Martec or Maxprop - will set you back a bit over $2600. With a haul out, you'd be up to almost three B.U.C.'s.......

Loren