Racing H34

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John DelGiudice

I just bought a h34, and will start club racing next week. the boat came with a 110% & a 150% head sail. I was told by the seller that the 150% was to much for the boat. Another boater said I should use the 150%, any suggestions? I'll be racing on narraganset bay. typical winds of 8 to 18 kts Thanks, John

R

Ron Dague

It all depends

I have a 110, 135, and a 155 for my h34. In low winds, under 12 mph, the 155 with the full main is perfect. If it is 13-16, you can use the 155 with either a reefed main, or the 155 alone. Of course, when racing, the 110 and the main, either full or reefed dending on wind, will give you better balance and pointing. Over 16 mph, you will want th 110 and to reef the main. So, no, keep your 155 and use it when appropriate. It is all a matter of sail balance. Of course, if you have a spinnaker, in light winds that will be your down wind sail. Here in southern Florida, the winds are generally much lighter in the summer. I predominently use the 110 during the winter, and the 155 during the summer months. I would assume in late summer, you generally get lighter winds, making a similar strategy appropriate, with the winds picking up again in September and October. (If you are really serious about winning, I have a 155 kevlar and a 135 laminate mylar sail that allow the boat to point fabulously to wind that I don't use. Email me off list and we'll talk.)

D

Derek Rowell

H34 out of Warwick RI...

John, I sail my H34 (Tawhiri) out of Brewers at Cowessett (Warwick) with a 135 genoa. When the sea breeze fills in after around 2pm at 15 knots or so, the boat quickly becomes overpowered, and develops a lot of weather helm. It's time to reef and even take in some jib. The H34 sails best flat. I've often thought about going back to the 110 that came with the boat... but then wallowing around in the real light airs is not much fun either... See you out on the bay - we're there just about every weekend! Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.