?Racing a Beneteau 311

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

I have a Beneteau 311 that I would like to race more competetively. The problem lies in the side stays, they come all the way out to the lifelines. I am having trouble figuring out how to bring a 150% Jib past them. Any suggestions??

T

Tim

Not sure why....

Beneteau did that. The 311 is (I believe) the same hull as the First 310 and Figaro Solo, a Finot design that Beneteau seems to keep putting new interiors into. The First 310 has stays that are inboard on the deck, with bars behind the settees that carry the load into the hull structure. The 311 is a boat I considered replacing my old First 32 with until I realized the position of the stays. It limits the options too much. Short of major modifications to bring your stays inboard enough to point well, I'm not sure you'd be able to carry anything larger than the 110% the boat comes with. There is one thing you might do to be able to carry larger headsails, though... Find a Catalina 27 or 30, and look at the forward lifelines. They angle downward to join the bow pulpit at its base from the first stanchion, that allows the headsail to sheet inside the pulpit, then outside the lifelines (and stays), where it is sheeted to the toerail. Can't get it in tight enough to point well upwind, but that'll get you the ability to carry more sail area up front. Good luck, Tim

J

Joe Hanna

Slow Boat To China

I have been attempting to race my 311 this Spring. I too have the same problem noted in your original post. I looked at a larger jib (either 135 or 150), but the limitations you noted are quite real and a show stopper. In addition to the shroud problem, you would have to lay additional jib car track. You might get away with no new track for a 135, but it would not give you much adjustment capability for heavy wind. I love my boat, but the handicap just doesn't give you much of a chance. When you are consistently tied or beat by a Hunter 26, you should get a hint. In addition to your situation, my boat is French built and has the original Tasker main. The batten configuration on that sail is a poor design/cut for racing and does not allow (or at best minimizes)the types of adjustments you can make on the trim of the main. If you want to race this boat, be prepared to spend either a LOT of money upgrading the original sails, with not a lot to show for it. Again, I love the boat-but it is not competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.