racing a 28.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Fullaway

I just started racing my 28.5 SD(jam)this year when we moved RI. We had a lot of fun and I learned somethings but had only limited success. (I raced it in a uncompetitive club in Lake Erie) I have a new 155% dacron head sail that never seemed to point as well as the old 135%. This winter I will be purchasing a new main and am looking for some advise from others racing a 28.5. -type of main (loose foot, over size roach ect...) - what is your largest head sail (thinking that the slot is to small with the 155%) - tricks that you have found with the boat - sailing down wind when wing on wing vs sailing points I have done best reaching and down wind with the boat up wind I get smoked. I had the sail maker on the boat and he thought the fit was good. Looking forward to some chatter.

D

Dan Saliga

I race my 85 28.5 very sucessfully on the lake.I have a Pentax (Think Thats the right spelling) 135 tri radial RF head sail made with a straight cut instead of the traditional higher cur RF jib. Also have a roshed Pentax tri radial Main. Both sails together have made a big difference. Also a folding prop is a must!!! I also set up an adjustable back stay so that left alone the headstay is fairly loose. That also makes a big difference. I have won almost evey race this year since the new main went on at the beggining of the season. I also sail at about 160 degrees with the pole out by the lee. Goes fast!! The few races we didn't win the wind died!! If you want more info e mail me at dsaliga@worldpath.net as I don't check this sight very often. Dan

M

Matt Sanderson

I have a H28.5 that I haven't raced yet. You might want to check with Haarstick Sailmakers in Rochester NY (www.haarsticksails.com, I believe). There is a 28.5, Lanikila, that races in a PHRF fleet at Rochester Yacht Club on Lake Ontario. They have been very successful and are outfitted with Haarstick sails. I'll probably end up talking to them someday, too. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.