Racing a 1985 Hunter 23 with a code zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2007
C&C 37 Plus East Greenwich RI
Racing a 1985 Hunter 23 with a code zero

I bought this boat 2 years ago. I race it in Colorado. The first thing I did was sand the bottom smooth with #600 paper, next was to move the battery to under the Stbd settee right up to the bulkhead. Finally I added some sail controls. So year 1 was OK, some in the money races but mostly mid fleet. half way thru year 2 I added a new North main. WOW what a difference. 2ond overall in the summer series. 2ond overall in the fall series. We would have had a first in the fall except for my error in the fast race(yes it was that close). So for season 3 I'm adding a "code zero" headsail. Has anyone done this? Any and all ideas are welcome.
Thanks,
Michael Cotton
S/V High Cotton
Hunter 23 WK

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
What does your sailmaker say? Are there others in the fleet? What do they do with it? How high can you head with it? Options can vary according to the courses that are set, too. Should be fun, in any case!

Nov 13, 2007
What does your sailmaker say? Are there others in the fleet? What do they do with it? How high can you head with it? Options can vary according to the courses that are set, too. Should be fun, in any case!
The racing is point to point not upwind downwind. Supposedly it should fly at 40 degrees AWA. We'll see. No one else is doing this. I'm a first here. I took a 6 sec hit for a 180 genny with this sail. I'm considering an additional penalty for extending the whisker pole. I'm running my old rating for the spring (150 headsail). I hope to get this all worked out for the summer series. Wish me luck.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The racing is point to point not upwind downwind. Supposedly it should fly at 40 degrees AWA. We'll see. No one else is doing this. I'm a first here. I took a 6 sec hit for a 180 genny with this sail. I'm considering an additional penalty for extending the whisker pole. I'm running my old rating for the spring (150 headsail). I hope to get this all worked out for the summer series. Wish me luck.
On a rather light wind day, the kind that makes sense for the sail, that 40 degree AWA is actually 80 degrees true wind. The moral to the story is that the code zeros can be used when the wind is in front of the beam, but not much.

Play with it here.

http://www.sailingcourse.com/keelboat/true_wind_calculator.htm

Nov 13, 2007
On a rather light wind day, the kind that makes sense for the sail, that 40 degree AWA is actually 80 degrees true wind. The moral to the story is that the code zeros can be used when the wind is in front of the beam, but not much.

Play with it here.

http://www.sailingcourse.com/keelboat/true_wind_calculator.htm
Thanks for the link. I've got all spring to play with it. If I can make it work it will take care of a huge hole in the boats performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.