R26 Running Rigging Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2010
Ranger (Mull) R26 Waikiki Yacht Club
I just purchased a Ranger 26 and I would like to lead the halyards to the cockpit. Can anyone send me a photo and info on how they set up the deck organizers and the blocks at the base of the mast to make this possible? Currently the main and jib halyard lead to winches and cleats on the mast and I'd like to make it possible to stay in the cockpit while raising or lowering the main & jib. Thanks

Feb 17, 2010
Also forgot to add that I would like to convert my halyards from the current wire rope/yacht braid combination to all yacht braid. Has anyone done this and did you run into any problems? Thanks

May 18, 2009
Beneteau First 38 Portland
I converted my R33 part way. After looking at deck mounted and mast butt mounted lead blocks, I decided to slip a "mast plate" under the mast, which provides mounting holes all around the mast base. I led my main halyard, spinnaker halyard, topping lift, fore guy, boom vang, slab reefing (first reef only) lines, cunningham, and flattening reef through blocks fastened to this plate, then through Harken "deck organizers" to Garhauer clutches.

I left my three jib halyards on the mast, since as a frequent racer, I wanted to get some people out of the cockpit during sail changes. Having a twinstay, someone needs to go forward to deal with the headsail anyway.

I ordered the recommended rope equivalent to my current wire halyards, but I was disappointed in how big they were, so I decided to stick with the wire halyards until they self-destruct. They all have rope tails, so they don't require wire winches and hard hard on the hands.

The main problem you might have with the conversion is your masthead turning blocks might be designed for wire, with small diameter grooves in the block, which will wear the rope halyard really badly. You'll have to climb the mast an take a peek (or maybe a good pair of binoculars).

Feb 17, 2010
Thanks for the info

I converted my R33 part way. After looking at deck mounted and mast butt mounted lead blocks, I decided to slip a "mast plate" under the mast, which provides mounting holes all around the mast base. I led my main halyard, spinnaker halyard, topping lift, fore guy, boom vang, slab reefing (first reef only) lines, cunningham, and flattening reef through blocks fastened to this plate, then through Harken "deck organizers" to Garhauer clutches.

I left my three jib halyards on the mast, since as a frequent racer, I wanted to get some people out of the cockpit during sail changes. Having a twinstay, someone needs to go forward to deal with the headsail anyway.

I ordered the recommended rope equivalent to my current wire halyards, but I was disappointed in how big they were, so I decided to stick with the wire halyards until they self-destruct. They all have rope tails, so they don't require wire winches and hard hard on the hands.

The main problem you might have with the conversion is your masthead turning blocks might be designed for wire, with small diameter grooves in the block, which will wear the rope halyard really badly. You'll have to climb the mast an take a peek (or maybe a good pair of binoculars).

Thanks for the information. I like the idea of the "mast plate" to handle the blocks. And I'll have to check on the masthead fittings. -Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.