R23 restoration project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2010
Ranger 23 Oriental
I recently purchased a Ranger 23, hull# 505 (1975), which had been left at the previous owners dock for 10 yrs. Sounds scary, I know. So far, its not nearly as bad as I had thought it was going to be when I got into it. Only big projects on the boat are the wooden parts of the bulkheads were completely rotten and, though i haven't hauled yet, I'm sure after being in brackish water for that long that the bottom needs a good amount of attention. Though I'm moving right along on the project and going to be replacing the wood and also "beefing" them up with fiberglass rather than just tabbing the pieces in like done previously. Where I'm finding I want a second opinion on the matter, or to see if anyone else has done this, is with this idea:
(I'm going to talk about the following as though someone who is familiar with the bulkhead system in the R23 is reading. Any questions, I'll be glad to answer)

The chainplate comes down and attaches lower than the top piece of plywood bulkhead, into the fiberglass of the cabin staging. What I'm planning is instead of replacing the top bulkhead piece for "anchoring" the chainplate, I'm going to instead create greater support to where the chainplate anchors to fiberglass and build stronger deck support columns that are paired at the "doorway" under the mast. This would open the cabin more and from I can tell, neither the deck or the chainplate really get much support from that top piece of ply. Rather, the support seems to come from both posts and the real load-bearing anchoring of the chainplate is lower within the cabinetry/cabin staging.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for "if it works, don't fix it" and I've actually been labelled a traditionalist in other projects I've done. However, I'm going to be racing and just doing weekend warrior cruises. If the boat doesn't need all the wood, I don't want it. When it comes to outfitting a boat, I lean towards being a minimalist. I'd love to have more open airflow in the cabin, but create a stronger support for mast compression. (I will also be using a removable compression post as past R23 races have advised.)

Has anyone who owns a Ranger done this or also looked at it that way? I'm very acceptable of criticism also, so please, anyone with knowledge of this sort of project, reply away.

May 18, 2009
Beneteau First 38 Portland
Didn't follow your description 100%, but make sure you consider the "shear" support a solid bulkhead provides, in addition to just compression. Also, the "span" of bulkhead under the actual mast (between your two posts) is probably important as well. Plywood is very good at distributing loads over large areas.

Apr 2, 2010
Ranger 23 Oriental
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=615973387&aid=153562&s=0&hash=a916fa1f9a33d630f435544b5d8fc9c3

I'm not sure if this link will break or not, but its to my facebook album R23. I'm posting photos there. The album is setup for public view, so it should work. There are photos of the boat after I had started removing all the old hardware and such from within the cabin.

Incase that the album isn't accessible, maybe these will work:
Port side:

Starboard:

Here you notice the top piece of ply installed with minimal tabbing at the hull and screws with finishing washers else where. Also, note the anchoring of the chainplates, it connects to the fiberglass/molded cabin staging. Within the "cabinetry" on either side of the cabin, there are two lower plywood bulkheads tabbed/screwed into place. The loads seem to be on the teak compression posts of the "doorway" and for support on the hull seems to be mostly on the cabin staging. However, I have decided that although I mean to bulk-up the lower parts of the bulkheads (the pieces within the cabinets) with heavier glassing in, I think I will replace the uppers also. My original thought was that the upper pieces of ply could be substituted for something less solid, allowing open space around the chainplates. I now feel that the saying "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" comes into play. I'll just be glassing it in rather than having teak veneered ply showing.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2010
Ranger 23 Oriental
I did the full replacement of the bulkheads. The plan is racing more than cruising so I have removed the sink on the port side. I'm looking to do some sanding and then painting below decks soon. I've already made cushions for weekend trips. Installed an adjustable floor-jack to better support below deck of the mast as I was advised by a friend who raced an R23 in earlier years.

Sails have all been cleaned and are in surprisingly in good shape. Though, I do want to replace the 150 mylar with a 150 dacron.

Status
Not open for further replies.