Quick release shroud?

clnhse

Aug 6, 2018
hunter 22 Grand isle
I came across quick release shroud shackles for a Catalina 22. I thought it would save about 15 minutes in setting up. I ordered one for my MH 22 since my mast and boom are closer to that compared to the 216. It is close but too short and the thread diameter is too small. Has anyone done anything like this?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Is this what you are trying?
BD3A4BE1-82C9-4389-9B20-C4FE60023A12.jpeg

It looks like you take the existing turnbuckle off the swaged on stud and thread it on. I would assume that’s why it’s too short. The thread on the end of the stud would need to match the levers so that’s also a problem.

Those levers are designed to work on the standing rigging of a Cat 22 not your Marlow-Hunter 22.

You might be able to find something to match here

• Helpful
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There are universal quick release levers offered for sail with some for adjustment in the turning the turnbuckle and others with multiple holes to choose from. Yes you can add them for a quicker set up but the one is specific for one boat due to a fixed length with no adjustment. @Hunter216 is.correct and gave you one mfg. thank you Hunter216. Added that to a Hunter 22 as a former dealer but cannot remember which

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Had a couple of trailerable boats and used on them a quick release shackle for the headstay only. Once the headstay was releasd the mast could be laid down without altering the adjustment of the shrouds.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Had a couple of trailerable boats and used on them a quick release shackle for the headstay only. Once the headstay was releasd the mast could be laid down without altering the adjustment of the shrouds.
The Marlow-Hunter 22 and its predecessor the 216 are a bit unusual as the jib has the forestay sewn into it and it furls around this cable. When you step the mast the forestay is connected to the Harken furler so there isn’t any ability to add in a quick attach unless you make some other substantial mods like a different jib etc.

The upper and lower shrouds of the B&R rig are the time consumers which for someone who frequently trailers can be a bit much which is the reason the person above made the mod. He would have had to replace the original standing rigging with wire that was the correct length to allow the quick release to be added. Note he didn’t mod his forestay as it’s really easy to pin before you tension the shrouds.

clnhse

Aug 6, 2018
hunter 22 Grand isle
Would it be possible to get the part numbers to the quick release he purchased.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
This is the page in the Johnson catalog link from above.I have no idea if these were the ones he used.

9EAB584F-80A9-4C82-9FB6-13A03E82D9FA.jpeg