Quick Outboard Fuel Line Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My recently aquired Oday 25 came with a Yamaha T9.9 outboard w/ 6 gallon tank.

When pumping the fuel line bulb, it does not pump up hard. When closing my hand on the bulb, it sounds like gas or air is gurgling back into the 6 gal tank until my hand is half closed, then the bulb becomes hard. No matter how many times I pump the bulb, it never becomes fully hard like the one on my Tohatsu 3 gal tank.

(LOL, that ought to get a few laughs)

Thanks
Ward

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
When in doubt, just buy a new one, maybe plus the new hose, too.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
I'm with Stu. Get a new hose and new bulb. You can find at Walmart, no need to pay Worst Marine prices. Don't know about the sun in New Jersey, but here in Florida, fuel hose is only good for a year or so before it starts leaking air.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
It seems like the valves don't seat quite right on half of them. Doesn't necessarily indicate an important flaw. Does it start and run OK? So long as it fills the carb, that's its job. My boat has twin outboards:
*Factory fresh it seems one bulb or the other is never completely firm.
*It never seems to make any difference in how they run, though I do replace them every 2 years.
*If starting is a problem, then it could be a part of the problem, though something ethanol related is about 20 times more probable.

Also, it is important that the flow be upwards when pumping, so that the air can pass through. Pump downwards and it will not get firm.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Life expectancy of Yamaha OB?

Also, it is important that the flow be upwards when pumping, so that the air can pass through. Pump downwards and it will not get firm.
That was the problem. I held the build upright and it firmed right up.

The PO had a complicated start procedure which required taking off the cowling and working the throttle at the carb while cranking for 10 seconds or more 3 or 4 times before it would start.

I pumped the bulb, gave the throttle 4 twists to full and back and it started on the first crank. It ran flawless.

The OB is a 2001 electric start, high thrust, extra long shaft Yamaha. Oil is very clean.
Any idea of the life expectancy?

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
If you take care of it and do regular maintenance, it can last almost forever. I'm running a 1985 Mercury on my fishing boat. Knock on wood, no big problems yet.

One basic maintenance thing, easy to do, is RUN THE ENGINE!! Letting it sit without using it is one of the worst things you can do. Run it at least once a week.

I also use 2 fuel additives - Stabil (the blue one) and Sea Foam. The Stabil seems to help against ethanol gas, plus it is a fuel stabilier, and the Sea Foam helps keep the motor clean from carbon buildup.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
One good piece of advice I can give outboard users is to disconnect the fuel line each time you are done using your motor (and for sure for long periods of non use) and let the fuel run out of the carburetor. When the engine dies because all the fuel has been burned, then you know it is empty. This keeps fuel from sitting in the carb and mucking it up, which is the number one issue owners have when the engine doesn't want to start. In regards to the bulb not getting hard when pumping, make sure the ends are secure on the tank and motor too. If not on all the way (a simple mistake), then it sucks air.

Status
Not open for further replies.