question

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

m grothaus

I am buying my first boat and was thinking about the Catalina 16, specifically a 1995 model. Obviously I am going to take lessons. Is this a good boat, or would you recommend a different size, style, etc.

E

Erik

Capri 16

I briefly looked at the C-16 when seeking a micro cruiser a few years ago. I compared it with the Capri 18 and found the C-18 to be a better cruising boat. They weigh virtually the same, are nearly the same length (16 is actually 16 1/2 ft), and the C-18 has a more comfy (larger) cabin. I thought the C-18 would work best for me. The 16 *may* be a bit faster than the 18, but in cruising that doesn't matter to me. I would also think about taking lessons in a smaller, rented dinghy-style boat. Try to sail or sail on a variety of boats before you pin your money on one.

C

Craig Adams

Capri 16 as first boat.

I think a Capri 16 would be a good first boat for you. It is reasonably light weight for towing, fairly easy to launch and two people can step the mast without any special gear. My Capri 16 Maranatha! was made in 1991 and was on the dealer's lot until 1996 when I bought it. The dealer hated to see it go because he said it helped him sell Capri 18's :) However I thought the difference in weight and price was worth the space sacrifice since my wife and I are just day sailors. It would be a good idea to learn to sail on a center board boat so you can get the feel of how weight distribution is very important on a small boat, even a small boat with a weighted keel like the capri 16. Happy sailing! Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.