Question on meaning of specs

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I plan to replace the drain hoses on my galley twin sinks. Hoping to eliminate the "traps". When the specs say " 5inch Min bend radius" how is that measured? I'm looking at Shields Series148 at WM as an option. Thanks
hose.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Draw a circle with a 10" diameter or find something with a 10" diameter, like an office trash can. The hose will bend around it without developing kinks or collapsing. Obviously, a kink or collapsed hose will restrict flow and can crack and leak.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Draw a circle with a 10" diameter or find something with a 10" diameter, like an office trash can. The hose will bend around it without developing kinks or collapsing. Obviously, a kink or collapsed hose will restrict flow and can crack and leak.
That helps Dave. Vielen dank.
I'll have to see if a 5" bend will work or not on all three sections around the Tee in the middle

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Have you though about building everything from the tee back to the sink with pvc?

Apr 5, 2009
The downward bend in the flex right off your through hull is where your drain is getting stuck. You can add an elbow to turn to the right to allow the flex to move continuously upward from the thru-hull to fix the problem.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The downward bend in the flex right off your through hull is where your drain is getting stuck. You can add an elbow to turn to the right to allow the flex to move continuously upward from the thru-hull to fix the problem.
Yeah. I have no idea why Hunter did it like that. Probably only had 3 fixed lengths built up and had to make them work.

Apr 5, 2009
Yeah. I have no idea why Hunter did it like that. Probably only had 3 fixed lengths built up and had to make them work.
If you ask them about it they will tell you that the drain was fully tested in the factory before it was shipped and that you are using it improperly. If you just take the boat out of the water and use it like they tested it, you will find that it works perfectly. :facepalm: