Question about the Balboa 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hello Balboa owners...

In the past two days, I've run across two Balboa 26 sailboats for sale.

Admittedly I'm not that familiar with the Balboas. I've owned two Coronado sailboats and three MacGregor sailboats and I've sailed a Catalina with my boss when I was younger but have never run across the Balboas before.

I'm looking for a 25 to 26ft TRAILERABLE sailboat and have been shopping for a Mac 26, or a Catalina 250 when I ran across these two boats. They look really nice. I'm not a big fan of spade rudders but they do look like a sturdy Balboas. Seems like a lot of boat for the price and they look sturdy.

I've tried to read a bit about them and the only thing I can glean is that they are sturdy and have some issues with weather helm (I can fix that I think). I have not been able to find anything negative about them and no raving positives either. Does not seem to be that much out there on them other than they were the first 26ft trailerable on the scene.

I'd love to hear some pros and cons from people who own one. What are their main issues? All boat have issue but knowing and accepting in advance is most of it ... right?

Thanks in advance,

rgranger

Jun 27, 2011
Macgreggor/Balboa 26 25/26 Baraga
Hey There
I have owned a Mac 25 for the past 8 years and I love it. I love the big cock pit and how light it is and how it moves so quickly across the water. I do not like the cabin space as it feels cramp and don't even get me started about using the head on one. I also don't like how light it feels if your caught in weather. I just recently bought a Balboa 26 this summer and while the rigging was a nightmare because of the previous owners the boat itself is STURDY and stout and it sails nice...I really like mine and I love the cabin space and layout. I felt like the Balboa was the next step up for me... Keel leaks and scary winch are some drawbacks but both are easily fixed.

Capt Strapfoots

Hello Balboa owners...

In the past two days, I've run across two Balboa 26 sailboats for sale.

Admittedly I'm not that familiar with the Balboas. I've owned two Coronado sailboats and three MacGregor sailboats and I've sailed a Catalina with my boss when I was younger but have never run across the Balboas before.

I'm looking for a 25 to 26ft TRAILERABLE sailboat and have been shopping for a Mac 26, or a Catalina 250 when I ran across these two boats. They look really nice. I'm not a big fan of spade rudders but they do look like a sturdy Balboas. Seems like a lot of boat for the price and they look sturdy.

I've tried to read a bit about them and the only thing I can glean is that they are sturdy and have some issues with weather helm (I can fix that I think). I have not been able to find anything negative about them and no raving positives either. Does not seem to be that much out there on them other than they were the first 26ft trailerable on the scene.

I'd love to hear some pros and cons from people who own one. What are their main issues? All boat have issue but knowing and accepting in advance is most of it ... right?

Thanks in advance,

rgranger

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Thanks Capt. That is a real nice head-2-head comparison. Let me ask you this. The keel on the Balboa is massive. Are you concerned about maintenance on something like that? I'm guessing it will take some engineering to rig a cradle and trusses and a dolly to move that keel around for keel bolt replacement and repair. I like the idea of a big heavy keel under me but I don't relish the idea of working on it.

Your thoughts????

Jun 27, 2011
I have thought about that but and I think that will probably be one of the few repairs (if necessary) I will let a someone else handle. As far as maintenance it is cast iron so as long as you keep it sanded and painted I am not that worried about it. I also love the idea of all that weight under me as compared to the 600 pound one that the Mac has. I got Lucky my admiral is allowing me to keep both of them *laughs* and the marina where I keep mine gave me a two for one half off deal so I can keep them both in the water for the year for about $550 dollars. From everything I have seen most people don't have to worry about keel bolt repair more about keel bolt leaking and you don't remove the bolt to fix that. It is fixed with washers and epoxy around the bolt and then between washers and nut.

Thanks Capt. That is a real nice head-2-head comparison. Let me ask you this. The keel on the Balboa is massive. Are you concerned about maintenance on something like that? I'm guessing it will take some engineering to rig a cradle and trusses and a dolly to move that keel around for keel bolt replacement and repair. I like the idea of a big heavy keel under me but I don't relish the idea of working on it.

Your thoughts????

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
I think you guys are on to something with the Balboa 26. In my opinion, it's superior to a MacGregor 25 due to the head room to almost stand up. Few questions:
1) How much head room does the Mac 25 have? Almost 5'?
2). Am I right that the Balboa 26 has 5'6" headroom? Does that make it feel like you can almost stand up?
3) Is there a bed in the aft birth of the Balboa 26?
4) Does the Balboa 26 have a pop top?
5) After experiencing the Mac 25, what makes you like the layout of the Balboa 26 better?
6) Does the Balboa's swing keel weigh 1,200 lbs?
7) Lastly, would you trust your Balboa 26 for a blue water open ocean passage?

What I really love is the Balboa 27 because it is both a trailer sailor and a blue water capable boat. But I know that I'll never have a tow vehicle that can pull it's 6,000 lbs :-(
Thanks!

Jun 27, 2011
Well the head room is 5,6, I am not sure how much room is on the mac would have to look it up but i am guessing it is more like 4 ft on the Mac. The Balboa does not have a pop top, yes it has a 1200 pound keel, there is only the V birth but the storage in the AFT is incredible. I like the room and the stove and the cooler set up. Yes I would feel comfortable in blue water open ocean with her and the original owner that was his plan. I sail mine on Lake Superior which has some pretty nasty weather...Also I think your weight is off I think it weighs in under 4000 pounds...I say this cause in the pamplet for the boat it rates the trailer at 5200 pounds.. I pull mine with a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport.
I think you guys are on to something with the Balboa 26. In my opinion, it's superior to a MacGregor 25 due to the head room to almost stand up. Few questions:
1) How much head room does the Mac 25 have? Almost 5'?
2). Am I right that the Balboa 26 has 5'6" headroom? Does that make it feel like you can almost stand up?
3) Is there a bed in the aft birth of the Balboa 26?
4) Does the Balboa 26 have a pop top?
5) After experiencing the Mac 25, what makes you like the layout of the Balboa 26 better?
6) Does the Balboa's swing keel weigh 1,200 lbs?
7) Lastly, would you trust your Balboa 26 for a blue water open ocean passage?

What I really love is the Balboa 27 because it is both a trailer sailor and a blue water capable boat. But I know that I'll never have a tow vehicle that can pull it's 6,000 lbs :-(
Thanks!

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Capt Strapfoots said:
...Also I think your weight is off I think it weighs in under 4000 pounds...I say this cause in the pamplet for the boat it rates the trailer at 5200 pounds.. I pull mine with a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport.
My last paragraph was talking about the Balboa 27, a totally different boat than yours. Google it, you'll be surprised. 6'1" headroom, shoal draft keel with 140lb centerboard. A true blue water yet trailerable boat weighing in at over 6,000 lbs. I would so love one.

Yes your 26 weighs about 4,000 according to forums.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Pat Royce's Sailing Illustrated has some information on the Balboa 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.