Question about cushions

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick S.

A question for those of you who have seat cushions on your 170: what keeps them from sliding around? Do they come with Velcro fasteners or some other means of securing them to the cockpit? If you trailer with the boat uncovered, do you have to remove the cushions to prevent them from blowing out of the boat?

J

Joe

Snaps

Cushions come with one snap each fore & aft. The female part of each gets riveted to the hull. Because you only have 1 chance to do the hull part right, Dealer install recommened. Don'r trailer with cushions installed. Great accessory! Joe

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Button snaps

Rick, Good to hear from you. Mine have female button-snaps mounted to the underside of the cushions and male button-snaps mounted to the seats in my 170. On my boat, two buttons are mounted on each side of the boat, one at the stern/inboard edge of the benches, another at the foreward edge, near the slope where the bench turns into the forward storage compartment wall. This is hard to explain in writing, and I'm not sure if all 170's come with the buttons already mounted into the seats. Mike G.

Jun 16, 2004
- - -
Very easy to install

Put the cushions down and line up where the holes should be drilled based upon the female connectors on the cushions, drill the holes, put in the male connectors (I put marine caulk on their underside prior to securing them) and you're done. If you want to get picky, you can coat the female connectors with graphite or something prior to arranging the cushions to give you a more accurute mark on the hull to guide you. But I merely made a pencil mark under them. There is some play on the underside of the cushion so you don't have to be within a millimeter, if you get my drift. A very easy installation and well worth getting. I bought mine with my boat. And as others have said, don't trailer with the cushions attached (who knows, they might actually hold, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. At any rate, I've never trailered with them)

J

JOHN

can you leave them in the boat??

I Have considered cushions, but I don't know if I want to increase the amount of stuff I carry from the car to the boat. Much of the year my boat stays in the water, can I leave the cushions in the boat? how thick are they? how easy to carry? My typical sail is probably about 2-3 hours, and half the time I am sitting on the coamings anyway, so I guess I am still on the fence about the value of the cushions. But a lot of people who wrote reviews of the 170 really rave about them. John

C

Chuck

I trailer with them in place

I take a piece of line and run it through the loops at the corners of the cushions at the snaps and then through each jib cleat. I have never had the snaps come loose, but I figure this would at least keep the cushions in the boat if they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.