QOTD: How long does your ice last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bryan C.

Be interested to know how long ice lasts in non-refridgerated ice boxes. On my 88 Hunter 35, in Miami, in the summertime I need about 5 bags of ice for each day I'm out, maybe 3 in the winter.

J

Jon Bastien

1 and 1/2 days, max

On my H25, 4 bags of ice last MAYBE 24-36 hours, with minimal opening of the ice box. I also know that it's not insulated well (at all?)... We tend to bring along a Coleman cooler, and I've had 2 bags of ice last 3 days (cool weather) with heavy usage (That's where the beer was!). In hot weather, it takes 3 bags to go 3 days. I'm planning on insulating the ice box aboard, and adding some seals around its hatch. That ought to help out a bit... Any suggestions on how to tackle that project would be welcome! --Jon Bastien H23/H25...

D

Doug Margison

Long lasting ice

My wife and I have been very pleased with how long the ice lasts in the ice chest of our Hunter 30'. We used to have a Catalina 30' and it was soo poorly insulated that we had to add a block of ice each day in summer and it was a much smaller box. With our Hunter, because the chest is so large, we usually use 2 blocks at a time and it lasts 3 days and sometimes into the fourth day. When we go sailing for the day we usually just bring the cooler along. Happy Sailing to you. Doug Mokum II

M

Melody Miller

A Good Cooler

Hi Brian: I just received a Cool Max 50 cooler from West Marine. It's made by Igloo and is supposed to keep ice for 5 days at 90 degrees (25% more insulation). We'll see. Melody

D

David Foster

Freeze the food - 3 days

Our original '77 Hunter 27 ice box stays cool for around 3 days. We use a couple of gallon milk bottles full of ice, and top up with a bag of chipped ice before leaving. We also freeze some of our food. Chili, soup, and some frozen meats are examples. All the contents are well refregerated before loading.

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

"Homemade" ice lasts longer than "storebought"

Commercial ice companies need to make lots of ice as quickly as possible so they can keep turning over their inventory. That means they make it at about the highest temperature possible...so their ice is soft and melts quickly. However, the freezer in your fridge at home is--or should be--at -0-F, which makes much harder ice...and the harder the ice, the slower it melts. So if you bag ice cubes in ziplocks and make ice blocks by just filling large ziplocks, cake pans...whatever, depending on the size you want...with water during the week to bring to the boat, they'll last at least 2-3 time longer than any ice you buy. Re-use your plastic bottled water bottles, and you have cold drinking water as the ice in 'em melts.

J

Jim Russell

Careful Peggie

Not necessarily so. Your premise may be correct with respect to the initial freezing of commercial cubes and blocks. However in our area, the blocks and cubes of ice are stored in freezers at the retailers that equal or exceed the home freezer temperatures. We generally find that the store bought ice in this region lasts longer for those reasons. However your suggestions of refilling gallon water bottles, filling ziplocks with cubes, etc., are things that we've done with very positive results.

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

If I lived in SD, I'd expect ice...

...to last longer than it does here in GA too! :) Down here, where a day in July or August cools off to 90F from 101, ice doesn't stay in a retailer's freezer long enough to "harden" it...and the freezer door is opened so often that we all know that the only hope of getting ANY ice that'll last longer than a few hours is to dig out the bags in the back and on the bottom....'cuz the bags on top at the front are already melting. Which of course just means the freezer chest just stays open even longer, perpetuating the problem :) It also makes a BIG difference that bagged ice is crushed ice...and the ice from home is in cubes...the bigger the chunk, the longer it's gonna last. I've iced coolers with bagged ice AND ice from the icemaker...and I always have ice cubes a full day after all the bagged ice has turned into cold water.

B

Bryan C.

Freezing in water bottles

Great info, folks. I'm freezing my own from now on. Freezing milk containers sounds like a great idea -- ice and extra drinking water in one. Curious about freezing water in plastic milk containers. Doesn't the expanding ice cause them to burst? Or I suppose filling the water a couple inches from the top would solve the problem.

P

Paul Akers

Check ice content too

Ice that is clear usually lasts longer than ice that has a high air content--foggy. By foggy, I mean suspended air in the ice - minute air bubbles. Always look for clear ice. Another trick I once learned is to use warm water when making your own ice. This water will freeze clear and last longer, also. Obviously, the trade-off is that it will take longer to freeze and also introduce warmth to the freezer. Personally, we try to buy clear ice.

J

Jim Ewing

Dry Tortugas

I chartered a non-refrigerated 35.5 and went 7 days to the Dry Tortugas in August. The ice supply was two 10 lb blocks and 3 bags. The last of the ice went into the last of the rum on the last night. Breakfast the next day with warm OJ. Yecch. The blocks lasted much better than the cubes. Max volume/surface area ratio etc. Jim "Prospect"

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Turned my "ice" box into dry storage

What a ridiculous waste of space my ice box is! I have a Catalina 27 & the stupid thing doesn't have a scrap of insulation anywhere (but it does have this really pretty teak cover - woo hoo.). I inspected this sucker & there is absolutely NO way to add insulation to the exterior of the box without completely tearing out the entire galley. Uh, I don't think so! So I've always used a $15 Coleman cooler. BUT I just mainly day sail so how many DAYS it lasts doesn't apply to me. I will tell you that I used those refreezable gel packets & they would stay nice & cold for a good long time. But, as I believe I've boasted here, I now have this bad ass Coleman icebox/refrigerator dealybobber. It's Bi (AC/DC) and also converts from hot box to cold box. I just love it!! Barely uses any juice and keeps stuff veerrrry cold (some stuff actually gets icy). If you're currently using a regular Coleman ice chest, I highly recommend investing in one of these puppies ($80 at Costco/Price Club). It doesn't take up any more room and is totally worth the small outlay of cash and amperage. LaDonna

L

An answer to Bryan

Yup, just fill the jugs a couple inches from the top & don't put the lid on till after they're frozen. For the first few, you might want to even make it 3" just to get a feel for how full they can get (just to avoid messes in the freezer). Reduce, reuse, recycle! LaDonna

P

Paul Akers

Electric Coolers

I've been hearing lots of good things about the electric coolers. I have three friends that have been using them for 2 years and love 'em. And the electrical draw is very small.

T

Tom Ehmke

electric cooler power consumption

I bought an electric cooler a couple of years ago when I still used the imbilical at the dock... now we dock at a slip w/o shore power and I've stopped using the box because of the draw on the house batteries. I would consider using it again if I knew it wouldn't jeopardize the batteries while I was sailing. I sure as h--- wouldn't want to trade a cold drink for the cranking ability of my batteries. Anyone out there with any idea of how long it would take for an electric cooler to draw down a battery if the engine wasn't used to recharge? For example, suppose I went down to the boat on a Friday afternoon, turned on the cooler, left for a weekend sail and only used the engine to motor away from the dock into some sailing space. I'm sure some electrical wizard out there could furnish a formula...

R

Ron

Electric Draw

We use an electric cooler on the boat and love it. I also use one in my 18 wheeler which has 4 batteries. If I leave it on all weekend the batteries are dead. The cooler draws about 4 amp/hours so most likely wouldn't be something you would use if you don't have shore power. Ron

T

Tom Ehmke

Thanks, Ron

I appreciate the info. Of course I was hoping for a miracle and a suggestion that if I would just do so-and-so, I could use the Coleman cooler ALL THE TIME. Such is life...

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Don't give up, Tom

I just got back from a spur of the moment overnighter & my electric ice box worked beautifully. BUT...I added about 4 of those frozen gel packets (you know, the blue Coleman "ice" thingies) for when we didn't have the motor running. We left yesterday afternoon, running it in the car & while the motor ran. We sailed off the hook this morning & didn't turn the motor on till this afternoon. Those darn ice packs were still frozen solid when we got home a few minutes ago. And that was with opening & closing the sucker a hundred times! So if you just want to go for the weekend, add a couple of those packs & everything will stay nice & cold without getting soggy - it's still well insulated. Besides, then you won't have to listen to that motor whine all night! :) LaDonna

R

Ron

To LaDonna

If you have a house bank of batteries I wouldn't worry about leaving your cooler on at night. We have a power supply with ours so we can run it off AC or DC. We plug it in at home, then in the car, again on AC at the dock and DC on the water. I would probably refrain from running it off the starter battery (Big Chicken Here) but on the house side it will be fine. I used one in my semi-truck for a long time and it hardly even shows on the volt meter in the morning. Ron

L

Thanks Ron

And once I get my solar panel hooked up, I'll definitely have no worries! Besides, I have an outboard so if the "starter" battery dies, I can just hand crank it. LaDonna

Status
Not open for further replies.