PVC frame for a winter cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
A friend asked if I knew of a good article on how to build a PVC frame for a winter cover. I remember seeing a good article with good pics this fall but can find it. I get Good Old Boat, Practical Sailor, Cruising World and Sail (don't ask why but it passes the time).

Can anyone remember where I saw the article?

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Here is a picture of the PVC tubing frame that I built for my 33. (hopefully it uploads correctly) The frame sits on the rub rail and is supported at the stanchions. The middle section sits on the mast step. The pieces are glued for the most part and screws hold the sections together when it is assembled. It disassembles into pieces no longer than about 6 feet.

Hope it helps.

Attachments

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
nice job Jake- looks like you padded up in the bow to allow for the deck's contours too.
What is that, 2" or 1-1/2 ID pipe?? I suppose you use canvas cover. I found out tha hard way 30 yrs ago that the blue tarp on these frames just gets brittle in the cold and shreds in the wind.

Jun 2, 2011
jtmccue,

Thanks. It is 2" vacuum tubing so I think the outside diameter is 2". It fits like a glove and has worked well since 2006.

I have a fitted rip-stop tarp as the cover. It is the same material that is used on temporary car ports in the winter. It's like a tarp material but quite a bit thicker.

Jun 2, 2011
Ron,

The only pictures I have are from the first year and the cover was not made to my specifications. It has since been adjusted and it fits better now but not as well as I had intended it to fit.

Attachments

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Jake, I think it was on this site. I saw it also and I am building my first one.....Past years I used 5/4" spruce. This is all un glued, mast is down so its easier. I can break it at the ridge if I want to reuse....not sure yet....Red

Attachments

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Whoops I meant to reply to Nelson....Red

Attachments

Sep 26, 2011
Hunter 33_77-83 Cedar Creek Sailing Center, NJ
A friend asked if I knew of a good article on how to build a PVC frame for a winter cover. I remember seeing a good article with good pics this fall but can find it. I get Good Old Boat, Practical Sailor, Cruising World and Sail (don't ask why but it passes the time).

Can anyone remember where I saw the article?
Sail, October 2011, page 100, is one I have on my coffee table now. I have also seen an article in Good 'ol Boat on the subject but don't have the reference handy.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Looks like a lot of work.:) Did you glue the sections or are they loose?
I decided to go with the Klover Klamp method. Easy to assemble and take apart. The galv conduit will last forever (or at least until I sell) :D

tcbro

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Middle River, MD
I made a frame using 3/4" galvanized EMT conduit and clamps from www.framemakerclamps.com The conduit costs $4 per 10' length at Home Depot. A conduit bender costs $35 or you may be able to rent or borrow one. It took the better part of a weekend to make but now I can set it up in a few hours, by myself. I marked the ridge with yellow electric tape, the port side ribs with red tape, starboard ribs are green and the upright supports are blue. Starting at the bow the first piece if each component gets 1 ring of tape, the second gets 2 and so on. All parts are easily identified for assembly. It is easy to transport & store when not in use. Takes up much less room than plastic of a suitable diameter. Use 3/4" rubber "crutch" tips (also available at HD) where it contacts the deck. This frame is extremely rigid. I'm still covering it with poly tarps but hope to set it up freestanding in the driveway and sew up a proper canvas cover.

Check out the gallery on the frame maker clamps site.

Status
Not open for further replies.