putting an O'Day 22 on a trailer setup for a Catalina 22?

Jul 28, 2020
O'Day 22 Boston
I've seen folks talk about the similarities of the boats. I've come across a trailer that was setup for a Catalina 22 and I need a new trailer for an O'Day 22.

Thoughts?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
One idea is to get the boat on a sling over the Catalina trailer to see what keel, hull stern and bow supports you need. Then measure and buy bolt or weld on supports OR look at other O'Day 22 trailers on the internet or in a boat yard that has dry storage for small day sailors and mimic their design.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I was going to say that this depends on the model year of the 22, 1972-78 had the shallow fin-keel, 1979-83 had a K/CB which had a much shallower keel. But then I noticed your screen name and knew we were talking about that 1975/76 22! I would thin that with minor adjustments if possible, the O'DAY should fit on the Catalina trailer (if setup for the Retractable Keel C22), just be sure there is good support under your keel, the Cat 22 retractable keel uses a different type of support under the keel, with most of the weight of the boat resting on the bunks and the weight of the keel resting in a "V" shaped block to take the weight of the keel lifting cable. Sat 22 with retractable keel draws 2' with keel up, the O 22 draws 1'11", that 1" of space may help make room for a plank under the keel for support spread over several crossmembers. If this trailer is for a Wing-Keel C22 (draft 2'6") it should still fir as long as you can adjust the bunks low enough to allow your keel to sit on the support that would be under the wing-keel.

Jul 28, 2020
O'Day 22 Boston
@Sunbird22358 hah yep, same boat in both threads! I did end up buying the trailer because some rough measurements looked close enough for me to tweak and the price was right. It also seems as if the pandemic has folks snapping up boats and trailers left and right so, there aren't many on the second-hand market. The guy I bought it from ended up being a big sailor and offered some modification ideas as well as some good stories - he's on his 4th O'Day Mariner at the moment.

I think your assessment is going to be spot on - I need to take some exact measurements to be sure. It does look like there will be a small gap between the keel and the trailer. It should be easy for me to attach an additional plank as you suggested - plenty of cross-members to attach it to. This will also given me a chance to lengthen the keel support - it looks like the C22 keel is shorter bow-to-stern than the O22?

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
The O'Day 22 should sit on its keel and the bunks or rollers support the sides. The Catalina 22 cannot sit on the keel since it doesn't have one. It has a CB that is unprotected. The idea of using a lift to help place the O'Day 22 on the trailer is a good one. That way the bunks can be adjusted for the proper side support.