Pulpit leaks

Nov 14, 2018
Hunter 260 Vancouver, WA
Today we pumped 6 gallons of water out of the front area below the water tank of our Hunter 260. There seems to be two points we've identified for leaks. We fixed the first one, by cleaning up the hole and filling it with butyl. The second one is at a pulpit base. When we remove the screws and looked into the screw hole it was obvious that the PO had had a similar issue and attempted to fix it with some sort of silicone. I spent a bit of time removing the silicone and attempted to fix it with butyl. It didn't seem to work. There is a lot of gap between the pulpit and the boat.
IMG_2331.jpeg
IMG_2333.jpeg

The screw is much smaller than the opening, and it seems to be an open void. I think the PO tried to fill the void (which is between the hull and the liner) with silicone.

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks,

Sean

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Send a private message with phone so I can call you as I have a few specific questions being involved as a dealer and with development of the boat during design process. Once done and fixed I only ask two things First report back issue with fix and secondly we keep private contact information
Crazy Dave Condon

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
Drill out that hole a tiny bit bigger so you remove any trace of silicone that’s in there. Fill the hole with thickened epoxy, let it cure, drill the proper size hole that you need. When you drill the proper hole, try to bevel the edges so it’s less prone to cracking and the Butyl has a slight recess to form a seal.

That should do the trick. I had a similar problem with my chainplates on my O’Day. After that process it hasn’t leaked since.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Spoke with the owner. One bolt thread is stripped suggesting to go bolt one size larger tapping the thread for it. Advised 4200 or silicon to seal. Butyl tape does not work well here.

One other issue. Transom hull to deck leak advising how to repair properly

Feb 20, 2013
hunter h26 lake grapevine
Today we pumped 6 gallons of water out of the front area below the water tank of our Hunter 260. There seems to be two points we've identified for leaks. We fixed the first one, by cleaning up the hole and filling it with butyl. The second one is at a pulpit base. When we remove the screws and looked into the screw hole it was obvious that the PO had had a similar issue and attempted to fix it with some sort of silicone. I spent a bit of time removing the silicone and attempted to fix it with butyl. It didn't seem to work. There is a lot of gap between the pulpit and the boat.
View attachment 171346View attachment 171347

The screw is much smaller than the opening, and it seems to be an open void. I think the PO tried to fill the void (which is between the hull and the liner) with silicone.

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks,

Sean
Hi Sean, my name is Bob and I have a 1995 H26 that I have suspected for years of having water in the space where the ballast tank is, but I don't have any idea as to how to get access to the area. You said you pumped 6 gals. of water out from there, where on the boat did you have access to the water? This area where the ballast tank is sits about 4 to 6 inches below my bilge so the wate has no way of going into the bilge to be pumped out. I would really appreciate your answer on this

Feb 20, 2013
hunter h26 lake grapevine
Hi Sean, my name is Bob and I have a 1995 H26 that I have suspected for years of having water in the space where the ballast tank is, but I don't have any idea as to how to get access to the area. You said you pumped 6 gals. of water out from there, where on the boat did you have access to the water? This area where the ballast tank is sits about 4 to 6 inches below my bilge so the water has no way of going into the bilge to be pumped out. I would really appreciate your answer on this because it has been driving me crazy looking for an opening. thanks, bob