Pt Wilson Rip. Been in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jmalt

We're headin up to the San Juans for a cruise and I've heard some about the Pt. Wilson rip. Interested in any knowledge about it and what's your experience in it. I've heard the best time is to head out Pt Townsend towards the end of the ebb to avoid max rip. Comments?

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Crossing not that bad

A true rip with the wind against the current normally is not much of a factor. The wind at Pt Wilson is typically from the north but in the morning there is usually no wind or it is very light. Hence, if one is north bound there is no problem. Conversely, on the return trip it is usually in the afternoon and one is riding the flood in, hence, again, no big deal. Suggest buying a copy of the "Current Atlas", Juan de Fuca Strait to Strait of Georgia by the Canadian Hydrographic Service and get a copy of the "Washburne's Tables", published every year. The Current Atlas you keep and the tables you buy a new issue every year. Don't throw the Atlas away. Try to ride the ebb out to near Hein Bank then ride the flood in. If your entry point is Cattle Pass between San Juan Island and Lopez Island I'd be far more concerned than Pt Wilson. However, if the wind is down the Strait of Juan de Fuca it will be north into Cattle Pass and if you're riding the flood it won't be much of a problem. A good holding anchorage is Mackays Harbor at the south end of Lopez where one can wait for conditions. Summer is the season for fog - suggest having a radar reflector and sound the appropriate horn signals. A hailer with an automatic signal takes the guess work out. If trying to cross the shipping lanes in the fog one needs radar. Stay away from the west and north areas of Smith Island due to lumpy seas.

J

Jmalt

Thanks for the info....

THX for the info. I plan to depart from Pt Hudson on the last of the ebb and motor(sail), depending on conditions past Smith Island to catch the flood and be pushed thru middle channel. I am thinking of ancjoring our first night in Griffing Bay (any personal experince there?), since I'm expecting nice SW winds. Do you have any input on Spencer spit park?

Jul 1, 1998
More Details

Since our main vacation time is normally from the end of July to the end of August we seldom spend time in the San Juans - just too crowded with motor boats, mostly the Tuperwear type, and not much wind. If you can get there sooner before the peak season perhaps the infestation would be less. Higher fuel prices might help too since many come up from Tacoma and Olympia, maybe they will run out of money first (wishful thinking). With regard to the two places you mentioned, the only experience I have is just in passing, literally. Griffin Bay is far enough from the straight line between Cattle Pass and Turn Island to help minimize wake. Also, the route de jour for motorboaters is the canal past La Conner with a fuel stop in Anacortes (the highest prices for fuel in the area are at Friday Harbor - and they brag about it!!), and thence past Decatur Island. There is a caution for pilings in this area but probably close to the shore. Spencer spit park is another place we have only been past - and unfortunately, the main traveled way is fairly close to the mooring buoys and the best anchorage area. If it gets too rolly consider moving to the south side of the spit where the wakes should be less, especially if you can tuck in behind Frost Island. The places we used to enjoy were Garrison Bay (used to be frequented by sailboaters who wanted to avoid Roach Hbr) see the fort tower at English Camp, Stuart Island Prevost Hbr (watch out for the large rock on the north west side of Satellite Island), and Sucia. The last time we were in Prevost Bay there were a number of PWCs but these may be banned now, and people using their loud hailers and horns for communication. Doesn't make you want to hurry back. August is actually a good time to 'do' south sound as the place is practically deserted. Smith Island: We've encountered tall waves just north and east of Smith Island. These occur during the ebb and are caused by the southbound ebb from around the east side of the San Juans meeting the northbound ebb past Port Townsend. The waves are very tall (5 ft?) and close together (10ft?)and not fun to be in. Pt Wilson: On the north west side of the point is a shallow area where during the ebb the flow is eastward. The eastward current colides with the northbound ebb and also causes a lot of turbulence. This is not normally much of a problem because one probably doesn't want to be in this area anyway, at least not for a crossing, but the turbulence can be a problem if you're on the west side of the channel near where it shoals. Port Townsend Anchoring: If you anchor out recommend a plow anchor and in water deeper than kelp. The kelp grows really thick here, especially east of the ferry terminal, and I've seen a number of boats drag anchor because their anchors got clogged with kelp. We usually anchor in the area west of the ferry terminal and even south of the Port Townsend marina entrance. There are usually a few boats anchored just south east of Pt Wilson and the advantage here is one can actually see the entrance conditions to decide if it's a good time to go. Hope the above helps and have a good trip!

J

Jmalt

Now been there & done that..

THX for all the info. We just returned from a week trip. Weather was great and winds moderate, but during our return south there was a Small Craft advisory and Gale force winds in JD Strait, so we opted for the "scenic" route via ala Anacortes and Swinomish Canal. I motored on the last of the ebb off Pt wilson (encountered no real rip there) and caught the flood into middle channel which pushed my C27 to 9 knots! (at that point I didn't even bother with sails since were were flying). We hit Friday Harbor, but did not buy fuel. I have decided Fishermans Bay (Lopez Is) is not a place for sailboats (inaccessable except for high tide times). Spencer Spit was great. We caught Thatcher Pass and Guemes Channel to Padilla Bay and down the ditch to Skagit Bay via Oak Harbor, then to Port Orchard. Two realizations from the trip: 1) I need a bigger boat; 2) Widbey Island is a damn long island!.

Jul 1, 1998
Punched that Ticket!

Glad to see you had a really good trip. Now that you've "punched that ticket" it sounds like the next trip will be to explore more unknown areas. The C27 is a good sailing boat so don't be to hasty about 'moving up'. In a week or so one can learn to acclimate to the size available. It's good that you've made your first crossing of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. That's a crossing that can take the better part of a day and it can get nasty pretty quick so the decision to take the 'ditch' was a good one. In many years of sailing this area I traveled through the ditch for the fist time last year. It's good to have that option available. Hope all your future trips are as enjoyable as this one.

J

Joe Luciano

About Fisherman Bay

Next time up in the San Juans, don't be afraid to give Fisherman Bay a try. I take my C-30 in there a couple of times a year with no problem. While you don't want to go in or out on a low tide, you can easily make it a few hours on either side of a high tide. There are specific directions relative to entering outlined in "Gunkholing in the San Juans" by Nyberg and Bailey that work very well. It is a nice little anchorage where you can walk to the small town on Lopez. It takes a little nerve to do it the first time, but after that, it's a piece of cake.

J

Jmalt

Ah Yes...fisherman's bay.....

Fisherman's Bay was actually alright but I made the mistake of tying up at the Lopez Islander Resort (I use the term resort very, very loosely...) which charged 1.00/foot. This was exhorbitant in comparison to Friday harbor amenities and fees (.75/ft). I originally planned to anchor in the bay, but there was nasty westerly breaking in over the low bar to the bay and we opted to relax tied at three points versus on the hook. I did get out of there ok , and I know now what to expect. I followed "gunkholing" instructions and got thru fine. We did have a nice walk to town, and yes, I can attest that lopez islanders are very friendly and do give the "lopez wave" as described in the cruising guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.