PSS Replacement

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
Help Desperately Needed,

My 1990 33s5 was launched yesterday after sitting for two years and had to be immediately hauled. It was talking on water from the dripless shaft seal. The seal is dry rotted and needs replacement. Here is where the problems begin. The couple is so badly rusted that it will need to be cut. The second issue is disconnecting it from the transmission, this also my be so badly rusted that the shaft will need to be cut and replaced.
I had a major shoulder injury and thaught I may never sail again. Now I'm ready to get back to sailing. This development has thrown salt on that wound.

Photos attached any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Thetone
image000002.JPG
image000001.JPG
image000000.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Take heart. It can be done.

At least you don’t have an engine sitting over the top of your coupler and shaft seal.

A little wire wheel cleaning and a good heavy dose of Penetrating oil should free it up.

If not, a new shaft/cutlass bearing/ fit and faced coupler will make all like new.

Look into the new pro version of the PSS. They have upped their game using a reinforced silicon hose and water injection cooling. Extends the time between bellows servicing.

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
Take heart. It can be done.

At least you don’t have an engine sitting over the top of your coupler and shaft seal.

A little wire wheel cleaning and a good heavy dose of Penetrating oil should free it up.

If not, a new shaft/cutlass bearing/ fit and faced coupler will make all like new.

Look into the new pro version of the PSS. They have upped their game using a reinforced silicon hose and water injection cooling. Extends the time between bellows servicing.
Do you know the shaft diameter and tube length for a 1990 Beneteau 35s5

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
While you're working down there, you will want to replace the shift and throttle cables. At least one of them is toast. When you replace the flange, get a split flange, much easier to remove.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
While you're working down there, you will want to replace the shift and throttle cables. At least one of them is toast. When you replace the flange, get a split flange, much easier to remove.
I went with a Buck Algonquin split coupling when I installed my LasDrop Gen II dripless seal. I was able to press my old coupler off.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@thetone
I had to get in my boat on my knees and measure the shaft diameter and the log diameter to select the correct PSS size.