PSS Dripless on 310

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Am in the middle of my winter upgrades. Today I tried to install my new Dripless adapter. It turns out that the stern tube is too close to the hull and I need to grind away some of the epoxy to make it fit. Anyone else have this problem?

It's not that big of deal. Just need to use the dremel to take about 1/8 of an inch off so there is enough space for the thicker hose of the PSS.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The original fit on the 270 was very, very snug. The bellows had to be compressed just a tad as it went together to make it all fit, and the inner end of the tube wasn't very squared off. I didn't need to grind it at all, but thought about it.

Cheers
Gary

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
No sure I would bother with on of these in light of the fact that GFO can be run nearly dry.
The easy access of the gland on these boats make it a cinch to keep track of it. I have always been concerned with the inadvertent item making it's way into this area and contacting the bellows. Risk reward for this is not too favorable in my mind.

Aug 1, 2011
It's really interesting how people who don't have one manifest all sorts of reason not to have one, and the people who have one, collectively love them. It's hardware, and like any hardware, given enough effort, it will break. The bumper sticker could read; if your worried about ingesting a chain link fence, don't sail in a corn field. :) sorry, I couldn't resist.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
No sure I would bother with on of these in light of the fact that GFO can be run nearly dry.
The easy access of the gland on these boats make it a cinch to keep track of it. I have always been concerned with the inadvertent item making it's way into this area and contacting the bellows. Risk reward for this is not too favorable in my mind.
Exactly what happened to a friend of mine. A spare part stored in the bilge tore the bellows on his dripless, and they were in dire straits for a while. He was a traditionalist at heart, and said he would have gone back to a stuffing box if he hadn't sold the boat.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I have found at least 3 different configurations of the bilge on C310's. Mine has the ridge closer to the shaft tube. PaulJ's has the ridge further forward where it's not in the way. Maine Sail's old 310 had a sweep instead of the ridge.

Of course, only mine requires doing some grinding yo put on the PSS.

Lucky me :(

Attachments

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Mine has the ridge out of the way, I believe. Since yours won't be dripping anymore, it shouldn't hurt to grind away the ridge, right?

Aug 1, 2011
You guys should get the retention collar. Some folks worry about the bellows, but I believe that the bigger concern is the little allens that hold 'er together, even with the squish ones too. The retention collar has big honkin' bolts. Cheap insurance.

Attachments

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
You guys should get the retention collar. Some folks worry about the bellows, but I believe that the bigger concern is the little allens that hold 'er together, even with the squish ones too. The retention collar has big honkin' bolts. Cheap insurance.
Already have one ready to go. (Thanks again to the great advice from Maine Sail)

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Mine has the ridge out of the way, I believe. Since yours won't be dripping anymore, it shouldn't hurt to grind away the ridge, right?
Yeah, that's my thought. I don't need to take away much. Just an 1/8 of an inch or so over a 2 inch area. I just plan to get in there with my dremel and make the space I need.

I know what others have said about not liking the PSS. I have also read just as many reports from people that like them. I decided to go with it because I want a dry clean bilge so I know if I have any water in the bilge I have a problem. When we get loaded up for cruising there will be some areas that will be very hard to check and having the dry bilge as an indicator will help put my mind at ease without having to pull stuff out of some of the storage compartments to look at hoses and fittings every month like I do now. Obviously I will still do this on some critical areas like the shaft tube and the raw water intake. But some areas like the water heater connections will be pretty difficult to access through the stores stuff.

Thanks for the input guys.

Aug 1, 2011
When you commission it, put paper towel around the bilge on either side of the coupling, and underneath if there's free space. While the graphite parts seat to the stainless ring, it will throw a bunch of graphite, not unlike what a new fan belt does to the underside of the car hood. While it's more annoyance than anything, the paper towel will allow an easy cleanup. Obviously, don't let it touch the assembly.... (that was the obligatory disclaimer) :)

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Dry bilge

Yeah, that's my thought. I don't need to take away much. Just an 1/8 of an inch or so over a 2 inch area. I just plan to get in there with my dremel and make the space I need.

I know what others have said about not liking the PSS. I have also read just as many reports from people that like them. I decided to go with it because I want a dry clean bilge so I know if I have any water in the bilge I have a problem. When we get loaded up for cruising there will be some areas that will be very hard to check and having the dry bilge as an indicator will help put my mind at ease without having to pull stuff out of some of the storage compartments to look at hoses and fittings every month like I do now. Obviously I will still do this on some critical areas like the shaft tube and the raw water intake. But some areas like the water heater connections will be pretty difficult to access through the stores stuff.

Thanks for the input guys.
I think what you will find, Jesse, is that after you have been cruising a while, you will be attuned to the sounds of your boat, to the point that if the bilge pump kicks in more than normal, you will notice it. Even if you are asleep at the time!