Provisioning Food for 5 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katlin

Mar 26, 2007
- - Edmonds, WA
My husband and I just moved up to a 41 and will be bringing it up from Portland, OR to our home port in Edmonds, WA. We are planning for about five or so days and hoped I could tap into anyone's experience with provisioning (and storage) for food as we do not plan on pulling into port every night. There will be three of us on the cruise and any hints or suggestions anyone has would be great! Thank you, Katlin.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
What We Do

I find for cruises of a few days away from land, the following works well: Breakfast: 1. hard boiled eggs. 2. individually packaged sweet rolls. 3. orange juice. 4. coffee made in a thermos with a melita cone filter. Lunch: 1. rolls with ham and turkey, cheese and dressings. Make in advance for three days. Use small rolls for individual servings and wrap in foil. Figure two per person per day. 2. water/soft drinks/beer. Lemonade is a favorite, made in a plastic container. 3. individual wrapped chocolates. 4. dry-roasted peanuts and chips. Dinner: 1. beef stew, prepared in advance. 2. vacuum-packed chicken, pre-cooked. 3. canned vegetables. 4. cheap wine. I have found that self-serve is the way to go for breakfast and taking a bunch of hard-boiled eggs works well. People also like to snack at night on them. Fresh-brewed coffee beats instant all the time. Same with lunch. The rolls last well into three days, just don't put tomatoes on them or anything that makes them turn mushy. Just put all the rolls in a clear plastic bag and everyone can help themselves. We always find people really want their chocolate bars, so small bite-sized ones are handy. It's sometimes a pain to make a dinner while underway. We do find it is the one meal where everyone gathers tho. I make a beef stew in advance and just warm it on the boat and have rolls to go with it. It can be eaten in a bowl with a spoon which is oh-so much easier when being tossed around. For other variety, vacuum-pack some meals which have been pre-cooked. My wife likes to do chicken. She also does vegetables since she does not like canned, but for me canned is fine. Anyhow, you can freeze them. For warming, you can use salt water if you want to conserve, and just boil them in the bag (get the right kind of bags). It tastes like fresh-made, and your home cooking is always better than store-brought. A couple of other things: Don't take a lot of packaging. Get rid of everything possible and transfer things into zip-locks and plastic containers. Don't bring more than a couple of days of fruits. They go bad pretty quick, altho apples last well. You can use paper plates and cups to minimize washing, and you can tear them up in small pieces for overboard disposal, but for the time you are out, you are better off using regular stuff and washing. Hope this is some help, and it's only our practice. I'm sure others have great ideas they'll share too. Have a good trip. Rick D.

E

ed

take extra food too

5 days can turn into 10 faster than you may like. Dont forget the ginger snaps!

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
good ideas, Rick!

we found that disposable steam trays (about 9x13) stack perfectly in our freezer, so we prepare and freeze meals that can be pulled out of the freezer and popped into the oven-chicken,brocolli and ziti, lasagna, baked chicken-use your imagination! we also stock the nestles chocolate chip cookie dough in sheets-you break them into little squares and they bake up in the already hot oven in no time-bring plenty, the entire anchorage will follow the smell! frozen taquitos also have been favorites, especially with the kids.

B

Benny

Start with an assesment of your refrigeration

capabilities both in space and the boat's elctrical power. Pre-cooked meals and one skillet meals will simplify the cooking chores. You can frezze your precooked meals and they will keep better. Plan your menu for each meal of each day. Decide which items can be pre-cooked and prepare them and freeze them ahead of time. Pre-cook your bacon and chop up some onions and peppers into zip lock bags. We find sandwiches and hot dogs are a winner for lunch perhaps with a bowl of canned soup. Potatoes, rice an other dry goods keep well. Take enough canned food so you may have food in an emergency. Soups, veggies, pastas. The advantage of canned foods is that they are already cooked and just need heating up and will last for months. Milk, butter, mayo, mustard need to be refrigerated. Eggs can go a week. Unless you have a generator aboard keeping ice for 5 days may be next to impossible. There are a few tricks wrap a can of beer with a damp towel and set it on top of the cabin. The evaporation of the water will drop the temperature a few degrees. In colder waters cans in a mesh bag overboard will do the trick. Rick has some good ideas but I do not share the one about cheap wine. The cheap wine I drink in the comfort of my home, in the boat I have the best I can afford as a reward for depriving myself of other things. Take plenty of water, we use 16 oz bottles. Cofee we make every day as there is nothing worse than stale coffee. Because of a slow down of physical activity while in the boat we cut down on food intake opting for smaller portions or skipping a meal and having a snack instead. Take plenty of snacks. We have the ability of running a generator while underway so the microwave, electric cofee pot and the latest addition of an ice maker comes into play. It also allows us to run the refrigerator more often to maintain its internal temperature. As a rule take good enjoyable food, don't push your refrigeration capabilities, take food for extra days in case of emergency, plenty of water and snacks. Plan ahead and you will be fine. The art of provisioning entails putting all that food away in the limited space of the boats pantry in a way that you can find them latter. A list of the items and the comparment they are stowed in may be invaluable. I remember one trip where we were looking for two cans of peas for four days and could not find them although I was sure I had brought them aboard. They showed up on another trip a couple of months later. Paper plates simplify things but silverware can be easily washed. Don't like plastic breakable and undersized silverware. The contents of cans should be written on their tops with a marker as with the humidity labels will peel off. If on the other hand you like surprises do not mark them. After a while you get to the point where your boat is practically ready to go at a moments notice. Just bring the milk and the eggs, a few meats and snacks as everything else is already on board. Sometimes at home we look for a canned soup or something to realize we have run out and both of us will say "I know we have a couple of them in the boat".

abe

Jan 2, 2007
- - channel islands
You guys do not know how to live!!!!!!

We have a H36 and when we go to the channel islands for a week... breakfast: freshly ground coffee..we have coffee maker that grounds the coffee use my honda 2000 fresh scrambled eggs with ham, onions, or chorizo oj banana bread or other goodies lunch: wine assorted cheezes cold cuts bread dinner: fine wine fresh fruit and salads lobster dinner fresh fish dinner,side order of veges or rice scallop /shrimp with pasta lamb cabobs on the bbq...with greek salad chicken cabobs nothing is prepared ahead of time...keep in mind that we are usually anchored I used to sweat at the though of 'boat food'..now I love it.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Microwave?

I believe that your vessel is equiped with a microwave, so microwavable foods do well. Things like "hot pocket" sandwiches are good. On our trip home from Hawaii we prepared hamburger that could be used in taco's and other easy to prepare meals. Instant oatmeal makes a good hearty breakfast and is easy to prepare too. You also need to think about something that is quick and easy to prepare/eat for those night watches. Something that is quick and easy is best. Coffee bags make a decent cup when you need one quick. You can purchase the thin sliced luncheon meat that can be put in tortilla's and make quick wraps too. With only 5 or 7 days ahead of you, not much needs to be frozen.

Mar 20, 2004
Abe, don't spoik it for Katlin!

start easy then work up! Our Hunter club (Maine Hunter Sailing Association) has already named our 2007 cruise "eating our way thru Casco Bay" in honor of our ability to find the best restaurants in every anchorage we hit! Since we don't have a genset the microwave stays off unless we're at a dock, but we make fresh coffee (french press), fancy omelets, and bake a lot. we use a sternrail mounted grill for fresh meats and fish (but save lobstas for ashore-too messy). with a little planning, anything you make ashore can be made on board.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Beer, Wine and Ginger Snaps:

OK, the truth is I take two kinds of wine: general consumption and owners... you can figure out the rest. As for beer, we take lite stuff but also some ale. Sometimes a couple of days out, you want something with body. And, we always take Vernors Ginger Ale and some ginger snaps too. The ginger ale works great to settle a mildly upset stomach as do the snaps. I used to do a big breakfast underway, but found the crew does not need it and after the second day, you are into your shift anyway and would rather stay in your sleeping bag than get out to eat. There is no reason not to splurge and have some great meals, like Abe has described. In fact, I think it's a great idea after a couple of days out. Who wants stew for four days? But, for the first few, my suggestion is pre-cooked and pre-packaged. Benny's note about not eating as much is true too. I have found that the crew only eat about half as much as you plan. And, snacks are really important vs. planned meals. Again, it is different for passage making and at anchor. Booze use tends a whole lot less than on land or at anchor. The truth is that, especially night watches, you are really sensitive to booze. You don't use much, but a drink may help sleep and keep you 'normal' so it isn't all bad. Also, the idea of a menu for each meal and each day is a necessity. You will be busy enough without having to think about food prep. Do it in advance and post it with the duty schedule and life is better. I post the shift schedule and food menu and preparers on the bulkhead with a protective cover so the shifts can mark on them with an erasable marker pen. I find this gets them into stride and they follow it closely! Anyhow, there are a hundred ways to do this. Get the crew involved, and they will enjoy it more too. Rick D.

abe

Jan 2, 2007
- - channel islands
MY GOD, Chuck...listen to steve dion..

microwable foods...yuk. abe

E

Eric and Debra Aboard Selah

25 Days

My wife and I finished our first leg of the Great Loop in our 380 Hunter last fall. 900 miles and 25 days of travel. We rarely had a chance to be in Marinas and Debra did a great job of provisioning. If you contact us through our website www.marriageconnection.net/selah, I know she would be happy to converse with you. Eric

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
comfort food

The further I stray offshore, the more my tastebuds regress to pre-adolescent levels. Spam and crackers for lunch, soup and crackers for dinner, peanut butter on graham crackers for breakfast. Even though I never get seasick, I've learned to avoid foods that might make my mess mates queezy, lest I have to stand longer watches. I once ate a dill pickle at sunrise that made three other guys throw up. Tasted good, though, after a night spent in my foulies. Here's what you don't want to do: plan big meals that never get cooked because one crew member is seasick, the other is queezy, and then the third has to go hungry because he doesn't want to to thaw out an entire lazagna just for his own dinner. The rule is this: keep the healthy guy fed because he's doing the bulk of the work. Small meals, flexible meals, easy meals that help a cold helmsman warm up. Lots of soup (or simple canned meals like Dinty Moore Beef Stew or Chef boy-r-dee ravioli) for cold watches, lots and lots of crackers, and lots of nibbly stuff for the one person who is still hungry.

K

Katlin

Thank You Rick!

Thank you, Rick, this is great! This actually makes the meal planning a lot simpler. This is my first time "off shore" and am very excited and nervous too! Thanks again - I so appreciate your guidance. K

K

Katlin

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS

Thank you all of your suggestions - this is great appreciate all the help! Happy Spring - Happy Sailing! Cheers, Katie

Mar 13, 2007
- - -
Disagree with Chuck

about the laubstahs. Even after slipping down the companionway on my butt, the mess is worth it.

BobW

Jul 21, 2005
Hunter 31 San Pedro, Ca
My wife came down the companionway on her butt

once, but it wasn't lobster she was protecting as she landed hard....... it was barracuda fillets! Yuck! A real mess! First and last time to want to eat barracuda, too..... but if my wife catches it and wants to eat it..... well, I'm game. ;D Cheers, Bob s/v X SAIL R 8

Mar 20, 2004
you win Abe!

ok, I missed that-I usually agree with Steve,but please, not hot pockets!

Status
Not open for further replies.