providence, ri

Jul 7, 2013
Catalina 34 856 hamilton
i'm going to be taking a trip up to jamestown distributors in sept. i was thinking about make it a long weekend, but i'm not finding much to do up there, figured i'd ask around for suggestions.

i'll likely have a friday afternoon/evening and all day saturday to spend meandering about. i was thinking about taking the seastreak downto newport on saturday, but its not clear how much there is to do within walking distance of the terminal.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Jamestown Distributors should be fun. I like to watch craftsmen at work.
If you are into photography, I'll bet there's a lot of interesting subjects in the area. Maybe you could rent a bicycle or scooter.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
You could easily fill up a day sightseeing, dining, drinking and touring around Newport. It's the only 'tourist' mecca in RI

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The Seastreak goes to downtown Newport according to their website. So there's the whole downtown in walking distance. Newport has pretty good transportation downtown with, I think, 4 routes of shuttle buses (They are online.) You could go to Sail Newport and likely take a sailboat out. Or tour Fort Adams or the Newport Museim of Yachting. You could tour the mansions - not my choice. Or stay down town and stuff your face like a tourist. Or find a quiet place on a wharf and watch the harbor activity - there's lots of eye candy around. You can take boat excursions. There is also a water taxi which makes a good harbor tour. You can also go across the harbor to Jamestown which is a nice quiet place in comparison to Newport. You can catch a baseball game. If you get to downtown Newport I'm pretty sure you can find something to do.

Jul 7, 2013
Catalina 34 856 hamilton
So there's the whole downtown in walking distance. Newport has pretty good transportation downtown with, I think, 4 routes of shuttle buses (They are online.) You could go to Sail Newport and likely take a sailboat out.
thanks, that's good info. i was worried if i left the car in providence, i'd be stranded out of walking distance to anything of interest. sadly there wasn't much mention of public trans on the "visit newport" websites. i did see there are a couple of sailing charters there, the 2-hour 12-meter one looks interesting.

Or tour Fort Adams or the Newport Museim of Yachting. You could tour the mansions - not my choice. Or stay down town and stuff your face like a tourist. Or find a quiet place on a wharf and watch the harbor activity - there's lots of eye candy around.
mansion tours isn't really my thing either. i'm sure there pretty and what not but oogling a rich persons vacant house isn't one of them.

so far it looks like,
- friday, stop at jamestown distro and pick up my stuff, then walk around providence a little, maybe the zoo
- sat, take the seastreak downto newport, maybe do a 12-meter sail, or one of the other larger boats, walk around some

if i had more time, i'd head to block, marthas vineyard or nantucket, but i only have a couple days and i'm travelling from NJ to RI so all of sunday is driving

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I'm curious, is Jamestown Distributors really worth a trip from NJ? What goes on there?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
All good things. I used to have the bus maps but I threw them away prior to moving. - "I won't need these anymore!"

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
It been years, but on news years eve we would take the bus from newport to providence to go see fireworks. The bus station is on the docks..so its a short walk to the brick area with the other walkers.

Googlemap is your friend here.

Alternatively, take a train from providence to boston and use the subway system to walk the freedom trail.

Wickford is (was) a cool little place, like a mini newport.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Way back in the "good ol' days" .... well, maybe not that good but better than the other option, and this brings back memories:
They (Uncle Sam) sent me to Davisville RI. We bought a Falcon 16 one summer and trailer sailed it a lot out of a little bay called Allen Harbor and cruised around Narragansett Bay. If it were me I'd visit: Warwick and East Greenwich (there is a yacht club there); Allen Harbor (to see what changes there are, it's a small harbor and the satellite view seems to show a lot of mooring balls that weren't there before);

A little further up the road is the small town of Wickford (where we lived) that had a lot of marsh areas and looked really nice. There was a waterfront restaurant where we used their small dock one day and of course all the patrons with the shore side tables get to watch you tie up. Beautiful day with a nice wind. A couple came down and asked if they could rent our boat but who wants to give it up on such a nice day?;
Going south some more is Point Judith where we launched and sailed to Block Island. Missed the tide turn and had to motor (3 hp) out past the breakwater and the current was really ripping so hugged the side along the riprap. Newport is a long way out but maybe on a loop back then go through Fall River. Really liked Wickford but the satellite view shows it is really developed now. The two nicest stops might be (or would have been?) E. Greenwich and Wickford.

Boston had Old Ironsides and the Paul Revere historical area but the latter was disconcerting being near and almost under the freeway.

Our return back home was over the Mackinaw Bridge with the hope of doing some gunk holing on the other side but the mosquitos really plastered the windshield and radiator so we we didn't stop and went to the headwaters of the Mississippi instead. Afterward it was via Interstate-2 then through Yellowstone to the tune of "Goin' to San Francisco with flowers in your hair" and "The Sloop John B".
Get out and see the country then try to return in the fall so you can see the fall foliage.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Way back in the "good ol' days" .... well, maybe not that good but better than the other option, and this brings back memories:
They (Uncle Sam) sent me to Davisville RI. We bought a Falcon 16 one summer and trailer sailed it a lot out of a little bay called Allen Harbor and cruised around Narragansett Bay. If it were me I'd visit: Warwick and East Greenwich (there is a yacht club there); Allen Harbor (to see what changes there are, it's a small harbor and the satellite view seems to show a lot of mooring balls that weren't there before);

A little further up the road is the small town of Wickford (where we lived) that had a lot of marsh areas and looked really nice. There was a waterfront restaurant where we used their small dock one day and of course all the patrons with the shore side tables get to watch you tie up. Beautiful day with a nice wind. A couple came down and asked if they could rent our boat but who wants to give it up on such a nice day?;
Going south some more is Point Judith where we launched and sailed to Block Island. Missed the tide turn and had to motor (3 hp) out past the breakwater and the current was really ripping so hugged the side along the riprap. Newport is a long way out but maybe on a loop back then go through Fall River. Really liked Wickford but the satellite view shows it is really developed now. The two nicest stops might be (or would have been?) E. Greenwich and Wickford.

Boston had Old Ironsides and the Paul Revere historical area but the latter was disconcerting being near and almost under the freeway.

Our return back home was over the Mackinaw Bridge with the hope of doing some gunk holing on the other side but the mosquitos really plastered the windshield and radiator so we we didn't stop and went to the headwaters of the Mississippi instead. Afterward it was via Interstate-2 then through Yellowstone to the tune of "Goin' to San Francisco with flowers in your hair" and "The Sloop John B".
Get out and see the country then try to return in the fall so you can see the fall foliage.
I grew up in all these places. Thanks to the SeaBees in quonset and my fathers employer.

I learned to snorkel at the "beach" near Wickford and went to Wickford Middle School.

Got me thinking...If you like to snorkle and dont mind getting wet on this trip.

Its going to be super hot. Get to newport, pick up a cheap snorkel kit and uber to 2nd beach near Purgatory Chasm.

This time of year the water is warming up and possibly clearing up. Start on the rocky wall on the beach and traverse the rocky ledge, its only about 8 feet deep. Go as far out as the chasm and head out into the bay. The ledge drops to about 15 20 feet down to sand, expect to see a couple big skittish blues or stripped bass over the sand.

Head back over the ledge and go right into the chasm. Its about 10 feet deep with purple urchins and starfish crawling around. You are likely to see large tautog hanging out, maybe a small school of squid hiding near the entrance. Theres a rocky beach deep inside you can hang out in, although there isnt a comfotable place to stay long.

Come back to shore and get some frozen lemonade from the vendor.

There will be horrible traffic leaving the islands around 4 stay late and soak it all in.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2013
Catalina 34 856 hamilton
I'm curious, is Jamestown Distributors really worth a trip from NJ? What goes on there?
my interest in going is to pick up a crap ton of totalboat supplies in an attempt to avoid shipping issues (see other threads elsewhere) and cost (hazmat fees). although the cost is slightly moot given the drive/tolls/gas/etc. but it's also an excuse to have a short vacation. otherwise, no, it's probably not worth the trip.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
my interest in going is to pick up a crap ton of totalboat supplies in an attempt to avoid shipping issues (see other threads elsewhere) and cost (hazmat fees). although the cost is slightly moot given the drive/tolls/gas/etc. but it's also an excuse to have a short vacation. otherwise, no, it's probably not worth the trip.
Great, thanks for the reply. Might have been quicker to go to Defender in Connecticut, but there's nothing of interest anywhere near them. But, still worth a visit on your way.