Proud new owner of an '84 O'day 26 :-)

Aug 4, 2019
Oday 26 Patchogue
I've always loved being out on the water, and definitely think sailboats are the way to go. I finally found one that was in my price range, specs, etc. It's my first boat and I'm pretty excited. Unfortunately, she's on the hard and the marina's crane is broken, so I can't put her in the water for a week. In the meantime, I thought I would try to make some repairs while she's on the dock, prioritizing the most important things. My main concern are all these cracks up on the deck. The worst one is this spiraling crack (see attached picture). The crack isn't flat - the ridges of the crack push up a bit, making me wonder if there is water soaking the core underneath. I tapped the area and it didn't seem to give a soft thud, but I'm not an expert. Is the top deck cover made of gelcoat? What's the best way to repair a crack like this? Are there temporary repairs I can make to prevent any further water-logging (if there is any), in case it's not easy to make a permanent repair right now? Thanks, and I'm sure glad to meet you and all and to find a place like this!

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Welcome, and congratulations on your purchase! That is some kind of stress crack in the gelcoat. If the core didn't sound too dead underneath that's a good sign. I would probably be inclined to just sail with it this season and then figure out the repair in the winter, but I'm not an expert. You'll have a bit of work to do matching the non-skid texture and gelcoat color there. Andy at the Boatworks Today YouTube channel, as well as some of the other experiences I'm sure people will share here, will be very helpful to you.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Congratulations and welcome aboard. I agree with everything Dave said. not that urgent.
First, is the steering system ok, any corrosion under the pedistal in the engine compartment? Next have the keel bolts been torqued while on the hard? Next how is the standing rigging? Then any major leaks and how are the fixed portlights ? Once you have the basic safety stuff ok, time to sail and enjoy. There will always be a list of chores on any boat.
Good luck!

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Welcome . I have owned the older version of your boat for 15 plus years . The gelcoat is very thin. Think of it as very thick hard paint .
Those are stress fractures and a great many boats develop them after a few seasons of being pounded on the water . Fiberglass bends ,the gelcoat ,not so much. Where are you located ?

Aug 4, 2019
Oday 26 Patchogue
Yes, I'm on the south shore of Long Island, so she will be sailing in salt water. Have you repaired any of your stress fractures? And I guess, as the previous posters suggested, that this won't cause a problem with water seeping into the deck core?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I had those on my 1976 O'Day 25 too, deck was solid like new when I sold it this year.

You asked so here goes, deck Penetrations on the O'Day leak, the chain plates on the shrouds are notorious to leak and rot the bulkhead where they attach inside the cabin. You can see these when you are in the cabin looking forward, the metal things bolts to the bulkheads. Make darn sure you have good wood and they are nice an tight. This is a sure fire way to have a rig come down otherwise. I removed all my deck penetrations and resealed with @Maine Sail butyl tape, including replacing my toe rails. The last thing on my boat needing addressed was the rub rail as it also leaked, but I sold the boat and made the new owner it needed to be addressed.

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
I've seen gel-coat cracks before, which appear to be normal on older O'Days. This doesn't look like a normal crack. I would inspect it further. I wouldn't imagine any failures; but look closely inside and outside of the area. Sometimes a severe bump to the rail could put stress in a different location. I would pay for a marine inspector familiar with O'Days.

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
Yup-Looks like a stress crack. I 've got quite a few on my 84 Oday 25. I used to try to fill every one but now at age 80, I think the boat will outlast me anyway, even if they're not filled'

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
You don’t happen to sail around Amityville do you? I was race committee for a local opti race and saw 2 O’Day 26’s in a row heading east down the bay on Sunday.

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
I have rebuild both the deck and transom on my Oday 25. Your photo looks like something I encountered. It is a void in the deck layup at manufacture. I would not fix this void unless you really enjoy working on boats. The deck may be a little squishy at the void.

Attachments