Prospective Hunter 30 buyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris Foley

I've made a bid on a 1978 Hunter 30 for $16000 but don't know if I bid too much. It's got the original 12 hp Yanmar diesel that appears to be in good shape, and overall the boat looks clean and dry...I'm having it surveyed but there's probably no delamination in the deck or hull, very little crazing, but a sloppy deck paint job. Few upgrades (no autopilot, holding tank, or radar) but otherwise very clean. I've only been boating for two years and this is my first big boat purchase....what do you think?

T

Terry Arnold

Check Classifieds for H30 price

The HOW classifieds are a good place to check going price for the H30.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
My two cents...

Your offer seems to me to be MORE than reasonable, and may be modified after a thorough survey of all systems(I also suggest a mechanical survey on that good-old Yanmar...). The boat sounds a bit bare (no holding tank!), and I would suggest calculating in your head the cost of all items which you and/or your surveyor may find necessarity to repair, overhaul, replace, or that you may wish to add (Not to mention re-doing that sloppy paint job you mentioned...), as a possible further adjustment to your intial offer.

A

Al Brito

I'll get it

right yet - I bought a 1980 H30 a year ago - love the boat, please check your sail inventory and all running rigging -new sails are pricey and your rigging is a safety and performance item. Add in the cost of a sanitation system and communications, ground tackle and you will be approaching the true price of this purchase. Good Luck Al Brito s/v Showtime

T

Tim

price is fair for one in good shape.

But is this one? The sloppy paint is a pain in the neck and so is the holding tank. But the big money is in the diesel ($4000 to rebuild, $8000 to replace. Get a mechanic to test it under load) and the sails ($2000-3500. Make sure the survey includes this.) Hunter 30 specific issues to check: -Delaminated cockpit and anchor locker hatches. -Mast compression post support in the bilge. It rusts. -Raw water cooled motor. -Rudder skeg attachment. -Port leaks.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Another cent...

The two gentlemen with posts prior to this one are absolutely correct, and, as stated, the price is fair only IF the boat is in GOOD shape. With a boat of this age, one major question should be: Is everything still original equipment? If so, determining the soundness of the engine, hull, sails, and rigging becomes of the utmost importance.

A

A.J. Wortelboer

Fresh water 1978

I have a fresh water 30 same as the one you are looking at. Payed 18 a couple years back boat is loaded with gear all but radar. Runs great and is very sound of all the 30 traditional problems that previous owners talked about.. I don't think you can kill the one lung disel that's in it. I love the boat and it treats me well... beware of the starboard prop walk in reverse It will get ya.

T

terry dornan

yse 12

same boat _ 2 years older i rebuilt the yse12 last summer and with new injector, injector pump, rings bearings and gaskets the whole thing ran about 500.00. I would not be as concerned of the engine as some in this string are, however the cabin top is a concern. the oiginal seal on the hatch penetrations left a little to be desired and i spent a considerable amout of time and money rebuiling a large portion of the top between the companionway and the mast step.

Status
Not open for further replies.