PROsine 2.5 defect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Russel Garecht

I recently purchased a StatPower PROsine 2.5 for my Hunter 29.5. There were two reasons for the purchase, the good review it got in Practical Sailor, and it is the only one that would fit because of the air conditioning unit. After installing the unit I decided that the person who designed the covers for the D.C. connections had never been on a sailboat, or at least not a Hunter 29.5. After trying everything from screw-holding screw drivers to glue on the screw head in order to hold the screw while I tried to line it up, I gave up. Currently the covers are duct taped in place. I decided the obvious thing to do was to get a longer screw, cut the head off and use it as a stud so I could use a stainless locking nut that I could put on with a nut driver. I contacted StatPower and got the specifications for the screw. I have searched all the hardware stores, foreign car dealers/part houses and have had no luck in finding the screws. Has anyone ever heard of a 3.5 mm stainless screw with a pitch of 0.6 mm? If so, please tell me how to get a hold of four of them at least 12 mm long and stainless nylon locking nuts. TIA Russ Garecht Her Diamond Ring russ@inlandscuba.com

J

John Mavrovich

Masking Tape

Take a strip of one inch long masking tape and wrap it around the screwdriver blade extending beyond the tip by one quarter inch in order to form a collar. Insert the screw inside this "masking tape collar" onto the screwdriver tip. It works for me. Good luck.

R

Russ Garecht

Tried Tape

John, Tried tape, screw is only 6 mm long and must go through the plastic cover. Additionally, it is impossible to see the holes so everything but be done by feel. Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.