Pros/Cons of 1990 27 purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete Seegers

I'm considering buying a 1990 Hunter 27. To a dingy sailor's eye it looks to be in good shape ... hull, rigging, etc. It's a spartan boat -- tiller steering, outboard, and minimal bells and whistles, but that suits me just fine. I'll sail it on Lake Michigan in the Chicago area. Ocational weekend trips, but probably mostly day sails. Any advice on what to look out for on this boat? Likes/dislikes of other 27 owners? Any general advice on a first big boat purchase is most welcome. Thanks, Pete

L

Larry McKay

Hunter 27

I have nothing but positive comments. We have enjoyed our day sails and five day cruises on the Maine coast. It's not an oceanliner but does very well sailing within sight of the coast so you can duck in when heavy seas/wind hit. Weather reports are a must as with any cruising. Nice privacy below and an enclosed head. I have a wheel and a 10 hp Yanmar. Good sailing------

P

PAUL

I recently bought a 81 hunter 27 From sailing on a 23ft boat for 4 years the Hunter 27 Is great standing head room, seperate head, large cockpit As for sailing we know hunters kick ass. Go for it.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
H27

As a fellow former dinghy-sailor who stepped up from 12' to 27' in one jump, I have nothing but positive comments on my even older 1987 Hunter 27, and after four years of "improvements" it's become anything but spartan! It's been a stiff and able mini-yacht that regularly takes on the wide-open Pacific Ocean...

N

Neil Smith

Hunter 27

My wife Nancy & I just purchased a 1978 Hunter 27. We're no racers and the design of the 27 meets our needs just fine. It's BIG below decks, and very forgiving to our sailing tactics. If you're looking for a racer, well, she's ok, but not fast. She's more designed for cruising, light to moderate weather conditions, and TONS of fun when at anchor. In the heavy, she's exceptionally stable and should prove to be a great "pocket cruiser". Good sailing, enjoy! Neil Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.