pros and cons of adjusting valves...

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
2. Prepare the engine for valve adjust by removing arm rocker. [rocker arm] ...
I hope you do not need to remove the rocker arm. I have not done the valve adjustment on a Yanmar but the only engine that I know of that requires the removal of the rocker arm is the Jag. It does not have any adjustment screws, so the valve clearance is done by adding or removing shims under the cap over the valve spring. I had a friend who was a certified Jag mechanic and he told me that the flat rate for adjusting the valves was +20-hours at $110/hour for the inline 6 and +40-hours for the V-12. :yikes:

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I had a friend who was a certified Jag mechanic and he told me that the flat rate for adjusting the valves was +20-hours at $110/hour for the inline 6 and +40-hours for the V-12. :yikes:
NEVER ! I'd just buy a new Jag.

2. Prepare the engine for valve adjust by removing arm rocker.
HB is just suffering from the current unseasonal Climate Change temperatures (this is unseasonal even for Climate Change conditions) if you can imagine heaping upset upon upset. I know what he meant to say was rocker arm cover. Meh, close enough for government work.

• Ha
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
My old XK-150 Jag burned a valve one night as I was travelling back to the Navy training base in Millington Tennessee.. .. I drove it to the shop in Memphis and had the work done there.. it was $250 for the head rebuild... but that was in 1968 !!!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Okay okay the current heat wave is getting to me. Post corrected to read what you said.
PS For those that aren’t familiar. Around these parts a heat wave is defined as anytime the outside air temp exceeds 70°F for more than 15 minutes.
I've been living in Charleston for 3 years now. I find that I have turned up my thermostat in the house. Any thing below 75°F and I'm looking for a light windbreaker.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Okay okay the current heat wave is getting to me. Post corrected to read what you said.
PS For those that aren’t familiar. Around these parts a heat wave is defined as anytime the outside air temp exceeds 70°F for more than 15 minutes.
Exactly! It got all the way up to 78º outside which drove the house temperature to 82º. I even had to wear my sandals WITHOUT SOCK! Almost needed to go out to the motorhome and fire up the AC.

Oh, the Humanity! :yikes:
:biggrin:

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Now those DO NOT carry the Continental appeal of sandals with black knee sox.

I just can't decide which of these is the more offensive :puke:

• Ha
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If Dr. Seuss was still alive, I would consider writing to him and ask him to write a new book called

"Socks in Crocks".

But it looks like it is up to us...

The sun, it did shine.
It was such a nice day.
So we ran out the house
On that sweet, sweet sunny day.

I ran out with Brock
We were going no where
And I said, “How I wish
We had something new to wear.

“WAIT” said Brock
I have something to wear
He reached into his pocket
And pulled out a sock.

Calling on @Will Gilmore (and anyone else) to help me finish this...:pimp:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Brock pulled out a sock,
then a second toe frock.
It was red and gold in argyle Spandex.
The heel pocket was deep,
To stop bunching or in-shoe creep.
They were safe from that evil hex.

I stared in amazement at the glorious cozies
And told Brock they were perfect for my little toesies,
Then invited him aboard, for I had valves to adjust.
Brock nodded his head at my ice box with a lear.
"I'll help you with that, for a six-pack of beer."
:beer:
"For any boat work," he said, "a cold one is a must."

-Will