Propulsion in an older boat

Mar 5, 2015
None 33 Not
I have the chance to buy an vintage early 80's 27ft boat, at a very good price. However, this boat was commissioned with out an internal engine. It has brackets on the stern for an outboard but an empty engine compartment.

I've been thinking about putting a power plant in her. However, she has no shaft, no stuffing box, nada.

Has anyone put in a shaft and prop into a boat like this? Does this even seem like a good idea in this situation? Does it even make sense to think about this idea?

At this point, I'm just pondeing, but I don't have any experience with this kind of task.

Tony

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
It will be costly and will not increase the value of the boat much more than that cost of the new motor. I removed the inboard from my C-27 because the PO abandoned it and it was partially submerged. I replace what was a 15hp inboard with a 18 hp Tohatsu OB. I was looking for a 15hp but I got such a good deal on this I could not pass it up. It has electric start and remote shift and throttle. It cruises at 6 1/2 kts at 3/4 throttle. After removing the old motor I would not have wanted to have to work on it. There is very little room and they are not designed for easy maintenance. The OB is easy to maintain and though I haven't had to take it in for servicing it can be removed and loaded into the back of my truck easily. So far there has been no downside to the conversion. The one upside is the huge amount of storage space under the cockpit I now have.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Invest in a Tohatsu 9.9 lightweight 4 stroke, with electric start and remote control. A lot of owners will change to a hi thrust prop (which gives you really good low speed power) ... You should be able to find a new one installed for under $3 grand.

Fitting a new diesel into your boat... with fuel tank, motor mounts, drive shaft, stuffing box, control panel etc. can get you pretty close to $10 grand.

The goal is to match your power needs to your boat's performance limitations. The 9.9 hp will push you as fast as you need... and your boat will carry much less weight off the stern than a 15hp... which adds more than 30 pounds.

Another bonus with the outboard is that servicing the motor is less expensive and easier to manage if you like to have a mechanic check it out on a yearly basis.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... I've been thinking about putting a power plant in her. However, she has no shaft, no stuffing box, nada....
Well, there's a thread going about a Saildrive in a C27. No shaft required.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Invest in a Tohatsu 9.9 lightweight 4 stroke, with electric start and remote control. A lot of owners will change to a hi thrust prop (which gives you really good low speed power) ... You should be able to find a new one installed for under $3 grand. Fitting a new diesel into your boat... with fuel tank, motor mounts, drive shaft, stuffing box, control panel etc. can get you pretty close to $10 grand. The goal is to match your power needs to your boat's performance limitations. The 9.9 hp will push you as fast as you need... and your boat will carry much less weight off the stern than a 15hp... which adds more than 30 pounds. Another bonus with the outboard is that servicing the motor is less expensive and easier to manage if you like to have a mechanic check it out on a yearly basis.
Plus, with an outboard you can tilt it up completely out of the water when under sail. Set it up with the controls in the cockpit and you are golden.

Aug 16, 2006
Ericson 32 Oregon coast
Increased manuverability with and outboard. When

going in reverse you can direct the trust and not be saddled with the pulling to port effect that comes with and inboard as you are backing out of a slip.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
If there's no evidence of an inboard having been removed, I'd say the boat was designed as an outboard. Is it a Catalina 27? Those were sold with the inboard as an optional extra, most were outboard powered. On a boat that size, an inboard doesn't really offer any benefits, and there are some liabilities as well. Look for something used whatever you decide, a new 10hp outboard could cost more than the boat. The motor it had is probably gone because it was worth more than the boat.

braol

Apr 16, 2014
Hunter 27 Rebel 16 Great Lakes Naval Base, IL
Stay outboard. If you want inboard, buy another boat (bigger) for the money you'd spend on just the hull modification. I'm contemplating old Yanmar SB8 removal and the increase in storage.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
9.9 hp should work well

We have a '77 h27 with a newish 1GM10 Yanmar inboard upgrade we did 4 years ago. My thoughts for you are:

10 HP is plenty of power to drive you to hull speed with good reserve for waves and wind.

I'm with those who like the 9.9 hp outboard, whatever brand you choose. Major modifications of the hull of vintage boats seldom pay off.

Make sure you get a long shaft to keep the prop in the water in a seaway. The well may help that issue - no experience there.

We love our h27. It's a great cruising boat for a couple.

Good luck!